The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amalfi Coast

5 posters

Go down

Amalfi Coast Empty Amalfi Coast

Post by ghiro Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:23 pm

OH has suggested that we spend a few days on the Amalfi Coast, somewhere we've not been before, in a couple of weeks time. Smile Smile 

But where to stay?  Sorrento?  Positano?  Or somewhere else?

And if we want a touch of 'culture' and go to visit Pompeii can we just pitch up or do we need to book?

Any advice gratefully received!
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Amalfi Coast Empty Re: Amalfi Coast

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:09 am

Last time we visited the area was in October, last year. We stayed in Praiano, between Positano and Amalfi and it was lovely. 
Can't advise about current situation in Pompei as we have not been back for a few years.
In any case, the Costiera Amalfitana is absolutely beautiful! You will enjoy it immensely, just as we do each time we go there.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:26 pm

I wouldn't stay in Sorrento, as it's quite touristy, better Positano ( if budget no object) or my advice would be go to Trip Advisor and put a search in for that area and see what comes up.
In our experience you pays your money etc.... Pompei is turn up and pay but lot of restoration work going on this year, so some bits may have limited access; but it's a massive area so still lots to see.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Positano is lovely, but expensive and parking is a nightmare or costly. There are some beautiful smaller towns, such as Minori or Maiore, and of course Praiano 
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:01 pm

Hotel in Praiano booked - it looks lovely! Smile 

OH's current plan is 2 days 'at leisure' and one day exploring the delights of the Amalfi Coast, probably not stopping or parking in either Sorrento or Positano.  Then off to Pompeii for the day, before a night in Naples.  The next morning we'll visit Ms D's recommended Cappella San Severo before catching the train up north to get to Casa Ghiro.

Can't wait!
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:27 am

You will enjoy the place. My advice would be to make a stop at Positano ( possible lunch break on the beach), park the car at the large parking garage, even if it is expensive, and have a walk through the lovely streets. Worth the expense.
In Praiano visit the church dedicated to St Luke, right by the sea. Beautiful baroque architecture and admire the ceramic floors.
P.S Don't miss Ravello. Glorious! 

Last edited by Gala Placidia on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add P.S.)
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:21 am

Excellent stuff Gala.  Have you ever considered opening a travel agency? Smile
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:49 am

Looking for a hotel in Naples I was initially quite taken by the Villa Margherita until I discovered, reading reviews on tripadvisor, that a number of guests had been eaten by bed bugs!! Shocked Shocked 

Hey ho.  Back to the drawing board.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:10 pm

ghiro wrote:Excellent stuff Gala.  Have you ever considered opening a travel agency? Smile
Well, I worked for 10 years for a major airline and I was in charge of package tours, etc, and then, I owned and directed a travel agency for a few years, at the time when people did not book through the internet... so it is in my blood... I can't resist giving advice Wink
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:22 pm

ghiro wrote:Looking for a hotel in Naples I was initially quite taken by the Villa Margherita until I discovered, reading reviews on tripadvisor, that a number of guests had been eaten by bed bugs!! Shocked Shocked Hey ho.  Back to the drawing board.
I haven't been in that one and haven't booked hotels in Naples for a while, so I cannot comment. I usually book hotels through booking.com and their ratings are accurate. Also, I read that Villa Margherita has renovated rooms recently. On the other hand, zanzare and midges are prevalent in Campania's coastal areas, particularly at dusk, so perhaps it was not bed bugs... I forgot to mention that you need a reliable insect repellent...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by FBower Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:20 pm

We had to spend a week in Naples when the Icelandic volcano grounded our Easyjet flight (we had been in Capri on the way home to UK) and we were put in a skyscraper hotel near the castle - very central, very clean although lacking in Italian feel as it was full of Japanese tourists. Can't remember the name but it was the only very high rise building in the area and it did the job (if you're stuck) and had a lovely view.

FBower
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Thanks FBower.  We booked a hotel at a good price through Trivago, only to be told 3 days later that the room was no longer available (unless we wanted to pay an additional £112!).  Shocked Sad 

I'll look for skyscraper hotels near the castle tomorrow.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:14 am

Ghiro, what Trivago has done is most irregular and unethical. I would try other booking agencies if I were you. Also, check prices quoted. Good luck!
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Amalfi Coast Empty I would put it on Tripadvisor...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:34 am

ghiro wrote:Thanks FBower.  We booked a hotel at a good price through Trivago, only to be told 3 days later that the room was no longer available (unless we wanted to pay an additional £112!).  Shocked Sad I'll look for skyscraper hotels near the castle tomorrow.
I would tell them you are putting it on Tripadvisor... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down