The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foglie d'ulivo con spinaci

3 posters

Go down

Foglie d'ulivo con spinaci Empty Foglie d'ulivo con spinaci

Post by JulianaAlice Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:04 am

When we drove home from Italy this year I took the opportunity to stock up on a variety of dried pastas.  One of the pasta types that I bought was 'Foglie d'ulivo con spinaci' which was new to me.  It means olive leaves. I have read on the internet that it is produced only in some regions of Italy namely Liguria, Campania, Toscana & Puglia.  I bought mine in Sarzana, Liguria, but it says it was produced in Carasco (GE).  Where is that?

The thing is, I want to cook it on Friday when my sister comes over and I need a recipe.  I found one with the following ingredients - but it doesn't sound very exciting.  Can anyone improve on this?

Foglie d'Ulivo con Spinaci, Pollo & Peperone (Spinach, Chicken & Pepper)

Ingredients:
Serves 4

• 300 g. foglie di ulivo pasta or any pasta

• 250 g. fresh or frozen spinach, chopped coarsely

• 1 scallion or half onion, chopped finely

• 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded & diced

• 200 g. chicken, diced

• bunch of basil, chopped

• 1/2 cup white wine

• extra virgin olive oil

• salt & pepper

(I won't bother with providing the receipe)

*** I have also got some Lasagnette Ricce - from Genova.  Any ideas for that please? ***
JulianaAlice
JulianaAlice
Elder

http://www.familychest.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Foglie d'ulivo con spinaci Empty Re: Foglie d'ulivo con spinaci

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:28 am

Carasco is in the province of Genoa, near Chiavari. The foglie d'ulivo are very nice. I have purchased them quite a few times. In Campania, I managed to get them fresh. Your recipe sounds very nice and should taste even better. You can cook some excellent dishes with them and they look very attractive. Also very nice with seafood.
Lasagnette ricce are small size lasagna sheets made of rice flour and therefore, gluten free. You can prepare them in the same manner as ordinary lasagne, doing layers of some tomato based sauce with chicken, beef or seafood and some béchamel or white sauce, or ricotta (delicious with artichoke hearts or spinach, or both).

Last edited by Gala Placidia on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by JulianaAlice Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:42 am

I knew I could rely on you Gala for ideas.  I know Chiavari, it is near the town my husband's ancestors came from several generations ago, Casarza Ligure. (He took several years to track them down).  I wonder what recipes they may have used.
JulianaAlice
JulianaAlice
Elder

http://www.familychest.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Thank you, JulianaAlice, I do enjoy cooking and recipes. It is a pity that I have left my big book on Ligurian cooking in Bagni; however, this link has some excellent recipes that could serve as inspiration Ligurian cooking
Good basic ingredients are vital. Ligurians have excellent olive oil and products and they use them freely. Fresh herbs and seafood are also widely used.
Enjoy!
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by L'uomodellaluna Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Nice Gala.

Have you a conversion table of US to imperial or metric quantities?
L'uomodellaluna
L'uomodellaluna
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:33 pm

This one is very handy Conversion for cooking
Sorry, I am used to different measures as I frequently look at American books and recipes. I wish we all had the same system!
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum