The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have I missed Christmas on here?

+2
ghiro
stevegwmonkseaton
6 posters

Go down

Have I missed Christmas on here? Empty Have I missed Christmas on here?

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:09 pm

Not too sure if I've missed a post on the festive season on here? We have spent only 2 Christmas holidays in Italy, one with family superb and the other on our own not quite as good. I've seen the question asked on many a forum as to what constitutes an Italian Christmas, mainly in terms of food! We have found it to be very festive and not too different from many in the UK. Just wondered how others have found it?  santa

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Have I missed Christmas on here? Empty Re: Have I missed Christmas on here?

Post by ghiro Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:17 pm

I would love to spend a Christmas in Italy one day but haven't managed it yet.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:15 pm

In the south, its certainly not as commercial as in the UK - its all about food, and depends where you are.  In Naples eels are a must on Xmas eve, or baccala and pigs trotters and lentils on New Years Eve as everywhere.   Presents are tokens, and not the credit card busting stuff that people in the UK expect.   I prefer it, but have to get mincemeat and parsnips brought over.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:44 pm

Ah yes parsnips must be one of the most regular items brought over for Christmas, must look for some seeds while in the UK, £1.99 a packet seems a good deal...
Our "better" experience of Christmas in Italy may have been coloured (white) by the location, Antey Saint Andre, North of Torino being in a ski resort with lots of snow -  classic white Christmas in a log cabin. But what also made it for us was the local people out shopping on Christmas Eve, just a superb atmosphere in every little local shop. We ourselves don't even ski (most of the rest of the family did), but still had one of the best ever festive times.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Have I missed Christmas on here? Empty I wonder if the UK is too commercial ...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:06 pm

modicasa wrote:In the south, its certainly not as commercial as in the UK - its all about food, and depends where you are.  In Naples eels are a must on Xmas eve, or baccala and pigs trotters and lentils on New Years Eve as everywhere.   Presents are tokens, and not the credit card busting stuff that people in the UK expect.   I prefer it, but have to get mincemeat and parsnips brought over.

I wonder if the UK is too commercial regards Christmas? This very subject was brought up on our local forum, some saying it is and others not. Is it perhaps another of those rural  v city things  Question

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:59 pm

We have never spent Christmas in Italy, as we always come to San Francisco to spend it with our children. Although Christmas has become very "commercial" y guess that it all depends on personal attitudes and what "the true spirit of Christmas" represents to each one of us.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoppimike Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:13 pm

I too would love to experience some Italian Christmas food!

I am only really used to the UK, but it sounds like a nice experience! ^_^
Hoppimike
Hoppimike

Back to top Go down

Have I missed Christmas on here? Empty Xmas no. 1 best of....

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:10 pm

Hoppimike wrote:I too would love to experience some Italian Christmas food!I am only really used to the UK, but it sounds like a nice experience! ^_^

... just watched BBC2  TOTP2 Christmas songs... (lots of dead stars). Ok, ok calm down... it was an accident, really! As you do I flicked and there it was - spellbound by the crass commercial rip-off of all time, I was hooked - well it is Sunday!!! At the risk of being called "awful" again I dare to post this AND claim the Pogues and Kirsty McColl was the best, but would not argue with John Lennon's "Happy Christmas"... So what would everyone else go for?

They ended with "Perfect Day" by Lou Reed, the BBC compilation charity version, which seems an apt ending lead for me to wish everyone here a "perfect day" where ever you are this Christmas...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:56 pm

Thank you for your lovely message Steve.  Very much appreciated by all, I have no doubt.

And perhaps I can join you by also wishing everyone here a happy, peaceful and perfect time wherever you are this Christmas.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoppimike Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:01 am

stevegwmonkseaton wrote:
Hoppimike wrote:I too would love to experience some Italian Christmas food!I am only really used to the UK, but it sounds like a nice experience! ^_^
... just watched BBC2  TOTP2 Christmas songs... (lots of dead stars). Ok, ok calm down... it was an accident, really! As you do I flicked and there it was - spellbound by the crass commercial rip-off of all time, I was hooked - well it is Sunday!!! At the risk of being called "awful" again I dare to post this AND claim the Pogues and Kirsty McColl was the best, but would not argue with John Lennon's "Happy Christmas"... So what would everyone else go for? They ended with "Perfect Day" by Lou Reed, the BBC compilation charity version, which seems an apt ending lead for me to wish everyone here a "perfect day" where ever you are this Christmas...

haha, I like John Lennon stuff so I could quite happily go for that!

and thanks for the Christmas wishes Steve and ghiro - to both of you too! ^_^
Hoppimike
Hoppimike

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:26 pm

Wishing everyone on the Forum a Happy Crimble and a Jolly New Year.....
 santa  rendeer  rendeer  clown
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:42 pm

Warm wishes to everyone. Have the best ever Christmas and may 2014 bring peace, joy, happiness and prosperity to all the world.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down