The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Save those pictures....

3 posters

Go down

Save those pictures.... Empty Save those pictures....

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:48 pm

Our daughter took near on 100 pictures over 2 days at Christmas and lost all but 2.... This was simply down to the use of her micro SD card in her mobile. A Samsung G2 with a Sandisk 32gb card, she tried to move pictures over from her phone to the SD card and lost the lot. Bigger mistake was to try to move them back. If she had done nothing it may have been possible to recover them. A few lessons here, first is NEVER MOVE the pictures, always COPY, then delete when you know they are safe. Second, if things do go wrong, don't do anything with the SD card that involves writing to it, best to take it out until you can attempt to recover your pictures. To be honest, although her phone takes great pictures and video, I would suggest micro SD cards are still not at all a safe medium for mobile storage, camera perhaps, but even there I'm not convinced they are fully safe.... Where you can, copy off your pictures to your PC or an external drive.... Always buy the best quality SD card if you have to use it, and in mobiles I would suggest you format the card before 1st use...  Shocked  Shocked

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Save those pictures.... Empty Re: Save those pictures....

Post by Geotherm Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:40 pm

Sorry to hear about that Steve. We had a similar problem with a lot of photos that were taken in Cambodia, as the guy in the photo studio overwrote the existing pics on the CD.
Did manage to recover most of them though.
Have a look through some of the programs in the link, they may do a free trial version, where you can see if there is anything there via a card reader.

http://photo-recovery-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:59 pm

thanks Geo, Stellar came up as number one on my search and I knew Photorec would be good as open and free s/w, tried both without success... As I said, main problem was her moving the pictures back to her phone, corrupt on the SD and either of the above would likely get at least half back... Really  the post was more a reminder to people to save their pictures as they never happen again....  Smile  Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by alexcal Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:39 am

Hi Steve, also sorry to hear about this.
This may not be ideal for everyone but I use an app called dropbox which has a facility that uploads photos to a cloud based server, immediately if you wish via 3g/4g or when you connect to a wifi signal. once photos are in cloud you can install dropbox on any pc or mac, log in with your authentication details and photos will download to them automatically. no need to connect to pc use media cards.

alexcal
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks Alexcal. Yes those who are happy to upload to the web and have access, there are a number of good options out there. My post was more of a timely warning as I know a number of people who only realise when it's too late that those pictures are so valuable...  For those that do want to use online storage, have a look at this Online Storage Info LINK

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down