The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Streaming TV

3 posters

Go down

Streaming TV Empty Streaming TV

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:25 am

Was looking for something else when I came across THIS review LINK about streaming TV devices and thought it was quite informative about your option and explained a lot for those of us who have not bothered to look into it. Interesting is the HDMI cheap solution!  Smile  Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Streaming TV Empty Re: Streaming TV

Post by Vicino Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:50 am

Thanks Steve,

The one that I use is the HDMI cheap solution !! I do know people who have bought Smart TVs here in Italy, thinking that they can just stream IPlayer, not realising that they need to connect to the UK !!!! I am not sure how you set up a secondary network connection on a Smart TV for the VPN ?

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:33 pm

V, think you will find a so called smart TV will pick up whatever internet you have or you will be able to use its set-up to do it. If its a TV then it has to be simple, else they would never sell them...  Smile  Smile  Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:30 pm

It's not quite that simple Steve. Most have no way of using an IP masking service. I have tried quite a few times and so far nothing works.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:43 pm

Hi peeps,

Without doubt things have moved on a lot since I knew 'stuff'. I am not aware that a Smart TV has a capacity to have a secondary Network connection to (say) set up a VPN connection that I believe you NEED here in Italy?

As I say, things have moved on!

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:47 pm

This looks like this one does, but there are others saying they can't. Routers are very cheap these days and I would suggest are going to be in any case a lot more secure than a smart TV, so that could feed the TV. But by far the cheapest solution is a simple HDMI lead... Then you just need to make sure your PC is secure...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:57 pm

... and This LINK seems to indicate you simply make your PC VPN shared with the smart TV... I wouldn't care I don't even watch TV here in Italy... Mind you I was interested in the WD TV device in the review...  But simply as a network drive with 1TB of storage...  Very Happy

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down