The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Monarch? meets What Pope? magazines

5 posters

Go down

What Monarch? meets What Pope? magazines Empty What Monarch? meets What Pope? magazines

Post by Neil D Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:54 am

In terms of celebrity culture what is there to choose between the Windsors and the Pope?  The British media like to mock (Italian) Catholics for their medieval, obscurantist devotion to all things papal but then go all weak-kneed and doe-eyed at the latest antics of the royal celebrity circuit. 

So, when Mrs. Saxe-Coburg-Gotha meets Pope Frank today they will doubtlessly exchange anecdotes about the tribulations of modern celebrity status but at least one of them was elected.  We Brits had our talentless, tax-dodging, freeloading royal celebs foisted on us by birthright so 'What Monarch?' magazine is really a non-starter.
Neil D
Neil D
Elder

Back to top Go down

What Monarch? meets What Pope? magazines Empty Re: What Monarch? meets What Pope? magazines

Post by pas55 Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:19 am

Must say I've never noticed any  mocking
pas55
pas55
Elder

Back to top Go down

What Monarch? meets What Pope? magazines Empty Re: What Monarch? meets What Pope? magazines

Post by Flip Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:56 am

We're not bitter are we Neil?   Mad
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil D Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:26 am

As regards the 'mocking', pas55, I think you need to have been brought up a Catholic in England to sense it.  Protestants have, historically, always considered Catholic beliefs as rather risible (at best) or sinister, at worst.  However, as an atheist (and a republican), I think all religious belief is fair game for satirical comment and, indeed, mockery.

As regards 'bitterness', 'Flip', perhaps you misconstrue a sense of justice for one of bitterness.  I'm referring to the issue of the monarchy here.  But the sycophancy of the media's coverage of the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas does also make me angry, to be honest.  It's good to be angry about some things.
Neil D
Neil D
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:57 pm

I've always looked on the Monarchy in the UK as a bit of a  Tourist Attraction, and never taken them seriously and held as totally irrelevant to the success of a Country. However I do have issues with a Republic, in so far as 'Elected Leaders' always seem to stupendously fail in their role as Heads of State and with the bickering and shenanigans that go on in their Governments it appears a completely useless appointment (much like the Monarchy). At least with a Monarchy you know what you're going to get but in a Republic any 'nutter' can be elected.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by pas55 Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:56 am

Well Neil I came from a split home dad a catholic mum C of E.Only person I can remember taking the p*ss out of catholics was Dave Allen on the tv
Neil D wrote:As regards the 'mocking', pas55, I think you need to have been brought up a Catholic in England to sense it.  Protestants have, historically, always considered Catholic beliefs as rather risible (at best) or sinister, at worst.  However, as an atheist (and a republican), I think all religious belief is fair game for satirical comment and, indeed, mockery. As regards 'bitterness', 'Flip', perhaps you misconstrue a sense of justice for one of bitterness.  I'm referring to the issue of the monarchy here.  But the sycophancy of the media's coverage of the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas does also make me angry, to be honest.  It's good to be angry about some things.
pas55
pas55
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carciofo Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:01 am

I'm with Flip on this one. And with a monarchy, in today's celebrity soaked media world, at least I find that the coverage is about people I recognise.

Carciofo
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:44 pm

Flip wrote:I've always looked on the Monarchy in the UK as a bit of a  Tourist Attraction, and never taken them seriously and held as totally irrelevant to the success of a Country. However I do have issues with a Republic, in so far as 'Elected Leaders' always seem to stupendously fail in their role as Heads of State and with the bickering and shenanigans that go on in their Governments it appears a completely useless appointment (much like the Monarchy). At least with a Monarchy you know what you're going to get but in a Republic any 'nutter' can be elected.

I have to agree with Flip and Carcioffo on this topic. Furthermore, I would be totally in favour of the restoration of Italy's Monarchy with Prince Aimone of Savoy, Duke of Puglia as heir. Prince AimoneHe would be simply perfect for the job and good old Napolitano will not last for ever. Can you imagine a better candidate?
By the way, you only have to look at all the memorabilia related to the Monarchy that you find in every Italian village and town to realize that the Italians have not totally forgotten those times...
By the way, te Plebiscite was not a clear win for the Republic... The mistakes made by just one King canno erase what his ancestors did for the unification of Italy.
Besides, it is a fact that a Monarchy costs less than a Republic and that it represents more value for money.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil D Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:35 pm

Gala Placidia wrote:By the way, te Plebiscite was not a clear win for the Republic... The mistakes made by just one King canno erase what his ancestors did for the unification of Italy.
Besides, it is a fact that a Monarchy costs less than a Republic and that it represents more value for money.
Those 'mistakes' include the abject surrender to Fascism in 1922, complicity in a war fought alongside a monstrous evil and, when that went pear-shaped, a cowardly flight for personal safety which left Italy without leadership and which directly led to Nazi occupation.  But, hey-ho, the  House of Savoy men wore dashing uniforms and the ladies gorgeous frocks.  What's not to like?

I'm not sure what 'facts' you have in mind but try a few of these.  In 2009-10 the British monarchy cost the UK taxpayer £202m.  France's presidential republic cost £90m, Germany's presidency £21m.  Doesn't seem like value for money to me. 

Flip says that "At least with a Monarchy you know what you're going to get but in a Republic any 'nutter' can be elected".  Well, it is of course possible that someone unsuitable could be elected as president but that suggests a rather low opinion of the British public and in what way is it preferable to have someone as head of state about whom that public has no choice whatsoever?
Neil D
Neil D
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:23 pm

Neil, would you like us to discuss the Munich agreement or similar historical events? Oh well, we could go on and on in a never ending list of historical "mistakes" made sometimes by individuals, sometimes by full governments and even countries...
 As for the cost of monarchies, perhaps the British think that they pay too much, but it is not the case, unless you are a Republican and nothing would convince you otherwise. Actually, the Norwegians and the Dutch pay much more and they seem to be quite happy about it. The Spaniards have the cheapest deal and I am certain that Aimone of Savoy would represent better value for money than any future Italian president. Not to mention that he and his family would look terrific in full regalia. Tourists would love them...and quite possibly most Italians... Razz
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down