The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So What Do You Do About Beggars?

4 posters

Go down

So What Do You Do About Beggars? Empty So What Do You Do About Beggars?

Post by ghiro Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:47 pm

Like it or not they're all over you in Italy.

Outside our local Brico is a bloke with his cap hung out.

And outside our local Conad there are a number of 'coloured gentlemen'.  There's one particularly smiley. cheerful chap who helps me unload my shopping into the car who I'm only too happy to allow to reclaim the €1 from the trolly.

But the one outside Brico offers no service - so I ignore him (particularly since I saw him chatting on his mobile phone!).

Am I right?  What's your policy?
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

So What Do You Do About Beggars? Empty Re: So What Do You Do About Beggars?

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:13 pm

My policy at the moment is to no longer take part in such subjects.... Smile Obviously from the last time, and I knew this, so should have known better. People don't really know each other on a forum, they surmise from bits they see of the written word. So for instance I have no other reason for posting this as I think no post should be ignored.... My answer would be that you have to do as you see fit in/at the moment in time.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:01 pm

Like Steve, I think this is a personal issue, as there is no right or wrong in this, as adults you need to exercise your own discretion in this on how to evaluate your response. In this day and age we are quite hardened to the plight of others and oft adopt the 'I'm all right Jack' attitude so it is with your own conscience you should choose what to do.
There is no written responses you can follow just think ''if it was me in that situation what would I do''. Some are fraudulent, others are obviously driven by need but make no mistake some are desperate, so don't judge people.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carciofo Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:07 pm

I very rarely give cash to people who are begging because it can be used for lots of purposes that I don't wish to aid.  

When in the UK I convince myself that a regular payment to Shelter is a better way to go.  In Italy though, I don't have that cushion.  I have previously bought beggars food directly (i.e. refused to give them money but offered to buy them a sandwich or an equivalent) though.  That's a bit difficult in Brico I guess, but maybe Conad has some kind of food bank you could contribute to.

Carciofo
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:45 pm

Flip wrote:Some are fraudulent, others are obviously driven by need but make no mistake some are desperate, so don't judge people.
Exactly.  Which is why I asked the question in the first place.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:21 am

ghiro wrote:
Flip wrote:Some are fraudulent, others are obviously driven by need but make no mistake some are desperate, so don't judge people.
Exactly.  Which is why I asked the question in the first place.

It's a judgement call only you can make Ghiro, you alone have to decide if the person is genuinely down on his/her luck and respond as you see fit. Many are hustlers who chancing it, and just because they have a mobile phone (it could be the only thing of value that person has) and are not dressed in rags, you need to decide whether they are deserving. No one can help you out with that I'm afraid.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum