The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Turn Next?

+3
ghiro
stevegwmonkseaton
Flip
7 posters

Go down

My Turn Next? Empty My Turn Next?

Post by ghiro Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:34 pm

I can only hope, when my turn comes, that my grandson Ted feels able to care for me the same way.

http://www.thelocal.it/20150105/photo-of-italian-with-sick-gran-touches-heart-of-thousands
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

My Turn Next? Empty Re: My Turn Next?

Post by Flip Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:44 am

A Very moving story.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:56 am

It is one of the things about Italy and the Italians I would hate to see change, also I suspect one of the many things that go to make up what we like about the place!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:28 pm

I saw something on SKY News this morning..............THIS is how the world should be !!

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by la alma Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:16 pm

If only it were that simple. I know an Italian lady who is virtually a prisoner in her own home as she struggles to care for her mother in law with severe Alzheimers without the support that is available here in England. She has been in this position for years and often feels her life is barely worth living. Anyone with a relative with Alzheimers, seeing their condition progressively deteriorate, will know how immensely hard it can be to care for someone with such a tragic disease, without at least regular respite, day centres etc.

la alma
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:31 pm

I've still not seen such an English display of love and affection ... Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:42 pm

stevegwmonkseaton wrote:It is one of the things about Italy and the Italians I would hate to see change, also I suspect one of the many things that go to make up what we like about the place!
Very apt.

I suppose it's only natural but many (if not most) of the posts here are related to the challenges, irritations and frustrations of buying and/or living in Italy.

We would do well to remember what attracted us here in the first place.  Art?  Architecture?  Food?  The climate?  The views?  The wine etc?  I'm sure all of these played a part.  But, for me anyway, the one thing that sets Italy apart from any other country is...................the Italian people.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by la alma Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:02 pm

I think it's the way that they are so willing to welcome others and make them feel a part of their family. The reason we bought our Italian house in our particular hamlet is because our neighbour, who'd never met us before, insisted on sharing their meal with us and seemed so delighted we wanted to be a part of the village. All her family have been fantastic to us ever since. I think English people are much more wary of strangers.

la alma
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Casa Monal Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:16 am

A heart-warming story. There are many relatives all over the world looking after elderly relatives, not just in Italy.  We have friends here (the Netherlands), in South Africa and England who all look after elderly relatives with dementia, with often the minimum support from agencies.

I agree with Alma, we know of several elderly people in our village that are very isolated, for example, it took almost three years for an elderly woman who obviously had dementia to be moved into secure accommodation. She lived in an apartment just up the road from us and if you walked underneath her balcony, she threw a bucket of cold water over you or you were pelted with tomatoes. Local children used to torment her in front of their parents. Her own children apparently lived in Genoa and were too ‘busy’ to care for her.  Very sad to see. We also know several couples who are caring for elderly relatives in our village who receive no financial or emotional support whatsoever.

In Germany and France the first port of call are the children, that’s the law. The state will only intervene or offer support once you have completed and submitted all the necessary paperwork which includes your income, property you own, reasons why you can’t or can care etc. Every case is then assessed. The Dutch are planning to introduce the same legislation in 2016 and no doubt the Brits will follow…so the moral of the story is... Laughing Laughing be nice to your children Twisted Evil

@Steve – I have and yes in the UK  Surprised

Last edited by Casa Monal on Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:20 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Comma in wrong place & added an 'r' to you - blame the iPad ...)
Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:49 pm

Casa................I like the last bit !

so the moral of the story, is be nice to you children.

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Casa Monal Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:21 pm

Vicino wrote:Casa................I like the last bit !so the moral of the story is ...be nice to your children.V

Laughing Laughing
Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by L'uomodellaluna Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:51 am

Be nice to your children ...... cause they will choose your care home!
L'uomodellaluna
L'uomodellaluna
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum