The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Window ties

4 posters

Go down

Window ties Empty Window ties

Post by Carciofo Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:22 pm

All of the windows in our italian house are casement type that open inwards with shutters on the outside of the window opening outwards.  Several of the shutters have ties that secure them in case of wind, but none of the windows have anything to stop them from slamming shut on a windy day (not that we have this problem at the moment).

I'd assumed that we would need to install window ties on the inside, but this won't be all that easy for some of the windows.  It occurred to me that I might have a bar that would slot into each of the window frames but I don't know whether these are commercially available or if it might prove annoying.  

Does anyone know of any clever solutions for this problem?

Carciofo
Elder

Back to top Go down

Window ties Empty Re: Window ties

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:30 pm

Gummies.... Small plastic hook one end hangs on the hinge and has like a rubber fin arrangement on the other that sits in the jam.... We got them at Brico, but guess a lot of DIY places will do them...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:12 pm

Yeh gummies available with a little searching at most Brico stores...
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carciofo Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:23 pm

Are they actually called Gummies, in Italian?

Carciofo
Elder

Back to top Go down

Window ties Empty Yes...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:44 am

Carciofo wrote:Are they actually called Gummies, in Italian?

Yes, but not too sure of the spelling, we would pronounce it "gummies" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Don't do as I do often and try to force the window shut on them, I've broken a couple....

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Window ties Empty Ok it's "Gummy"...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:46 am

Ok it's "Gummy", just realised I have one still in it's packet! This is them... GummyPic

Very Happy

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carciofo Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:34 pm

FANTASTIC, THANKS!!

Carciofo
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by la alma Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:19 pm

That's a really useful piece of information as I get very frustrated with our similar Italian windows. Can anyone tell me if a piece of equipment exists that enables you to have windows just a little open, + stay there, instead of swinging wide open? Will the gummies do that job or do they only work when windows are wide open? I'd appreciate any ideas.

la alma
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:35 pm

la alma wrote:That's a really useful piece of information as I get very frustrated with our similar Italian windows. Can anyone tell me if a piece of equipment exists that enables you to have windows just a little open, + stay there, instead of swinging wide open? Will the gummies do that job or do they only work when windows are wide open? I'd appreciate any ideas.
The Gummy basically keeps the window or door open, but they do have a thinner fin end where the window or door will close a little more... Smile Smile Smile 

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carciofo Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:33 pm

I went to Brico today and after looking unsuccessfully around the whole place, I asked for Gummies from one of the assistants.  The chap showed me something that looked exactly like the photo above but it went under the name of "Il Fermavento".  I bought one pair just to try it and they work perfectly so we'll be back to Brico to pick up another 6 or so pairs for certain.  Thanks for the information.  Really helpful.

Carciofo
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down