The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do we do it?

+6
Flip
Vicino
Gala Placidia
Lisa C.
stevegwmonkseaton
ghiro
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Why do we do it? Empty Why do we do it?

Post by ghiro Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:31 pm

Followers of this forum could, quite reasonably, wonder why sane people chose to live in Italy in the first place or have a home there. Shocked 

Recent posts have referred to:

• earthquakes
  • problems with healthcare cover
  • what happens if you move to France
  • claggy clay soil
  • buying a house
  • the water supply
  • neighbours coveting your land
  • IMU
  • expensive car insurance
  • political uncertainty
  • etc etc

Despite all this I'm very clear as to why I love living in Italy.  Are you too? Question
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Why do we do it? Empty Re: Why do we do it?

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:34 pm

Food that tastes like food should, wet garlic that disappears when crushed, deep, deep ruby red tomatoes, intense tasting herbs and cheap wine are just a few....

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa C. Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:17 am

Quite simply, Italy is where my heart is and it has been ever since we lived there while my husband attended the University of Pisa.  As soon as I am back on Italian soil, I immediately feel a connection that is very difficult to put into words.  I know it is where I belong and I can't wait to move back within the next few years, hopefully.
Lisa C.
Lisa C.
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:30 pm

I would also agree in that we all love Italy, although we are wise enough that there is not such a thing as the "perfect" country. But it is close enough to perfection. 
Regarding "bad" news, these are difficult times in most places and natural disasters (earthquakes, fires, floods cyclons) happen everywhere in our planet. 
Economic woes...also a daily occurrence.
I do not live in Italy permanently, but I enjoy coming twice a year while I send the rest of the time mainly in Spain and the USA. I enjoy the variety these places provide, but I must reckon that Italy occupies a special place in my heart. And I think that I am an extremely lucky person for being able to enjoy life so much.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:57 am

As usual at this time of year, the 'baby' snakes start appearing, having just disposed of what appears to be a young viper outside the door of one of our rooms. I seem to recall a similar exercise last September.

Do people keep any antidotes in their homes ?

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:18 pm

Vicino, most snakes will try to make off at the sound of any approaching humans, and it is very rare to be bitten by a Viper, unless you torment them.
We have had 2 baby Grass snakes outside our door this past week, which I duly pick up and take over to our Orto (perfectly safe to handle a snake by picking up by it's tail). I would suggest that firstly you know the species (google them) and don't have a hissy if you see them as they will normally slither off into the garden if left, it would be very rare to be bitten by a Viper and antidotes for venom are usually only kept by the Croce Rosso.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:30 pm

We have seen very few this year, normally see at least half a dozen or more on their way after winter and later on (now) on their way to their winter pad... I agree they run a mile if they sniff you. We had a little one last year coming up the grass bank straight towards us  10-20' away from where we were having breakfast... It's head went up for a second and it was off....!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:31 pm

Where do vipers (and the like) go to for the winter pad ? I'm not sure that I would be brave enough to grab one by the tail !

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Last May, I was "confronted" by the very first snakes I had seen in Italy. They were in our driveway. Two of them quickly disappeared. The third one frightened me so much that I started screaming and yelling non-stop. I was terrified! Our neighbour came and without me saying a word killed it with a spade. Something that further horrified me. Anyway, he explained that most snakes in I taly are really "colubride" and pose no danger. In any case, I checked, and found this useful site (in Italian) Vipers in Italy It is a frightening experience and I trust that I ill never seen them again.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:04 am

We get quite a few black snakes, normally racing into vole holes in the garden, or near the wood pile. They do indeed disappear quickly if you disturb them.

We also get the odd viper, one or two per year, normally September, the one that I disposed of the other day was too close to the property for comfort (1mtr away) so I did not feel happy leaving it where it was. I certainly would not want to bitten by one !

Thanks for the note re venom antidote Flip, and also the link Gala,

Keep safe,

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:00 am

A dog that lives nearby was found unconscious recently and the vet has confirmed that it had been bitten by a viper. It has survived but is still not back to its usual self. They can be dangerous!
Lancashire lass

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:29 am

Yes, dogs and cats can be seriously affected - if not killed - by a bite. But then... I used to have a cat in Australia who would hunt and killed snakes !!! We adopted him when he was a lost, or abandoned, kitten, but he remained quite wild. Great personality, very independent, only came for cuddles when he really wanted them. But great to keep nasties at bay. I still miss "Snowball" (he was an albino) after all those years.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:20 pm

We walk through the forest surrounding Casa Ghiro most days with the dogs.  We know that there are snakes, cinghiali and goodness knows what else out there! Shocked 

We take sensible precautions like wearing Wellington boots and taking walking sticks with metal ferrules which we tap on any stone we pass.  Because, after all, they're much more frightened of us than we are of them!

So far so good.  But I think if we were ever to become seriously worried about the fauna in Italy we would sell up and move to the relative safety of Milton Keynes!! Laughing Laughing
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:28 am

MK safe ....!!!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:14 am

MK ??????????

I'll stay here thanks !!

V Laughing 

ps: I'm from a lovely village called Liverpool !
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Why do we do it? Empty Well now I know why...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:09 am

Vicino wrote:MK ??????????I'll stay here thanks !!V Laughing 

ps: I'm from a lovely village called Liverpool !

Well now I know why you are here.... Laughing Laughing Laughing

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:46 am

I must take that library book back !!

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:40 pm

No! It will/would be the only one they had and would be lonely....

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:06 pm

Ghiro I don't think that the local fauna is specially dangerous, providing that you take the necessary precautions and you obviously know what to do. You should see the size of reptiles and spiders in Australia! And the cuddly koalas are not as tame and loveable as most tourists think...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:05 pm

Scorpions, Vipers, Violin spiders, wild boar, sand-flies and mozzies are all I know and none are as dangerous as the hunter boys...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:16 pm

There are at least 3 libraries in Liverpool !!

Gala...................why have we gone Australian ?! Sad 

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Why do we do it? Empty Liverpool was the city of culture....

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:40 pm

Vicino wrote:There are at least 3 libraries in Liverpool !!Gala...................why have we gone Australian ?! Sad V
Liverpool was the city of culture 2008, so I can well believe it has 3 libraries (and one book left:twisted: Twisted Evil Twisted Evil ) As for Gala, think she went a long time back or has to be seen to be in the heat of politics.... xXx

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:04 pm

I was merely commenting on how much more dangerous animals, reptiles and insects can be in other places, compared with what we get in Italy, and I happen to live in Australia for 25 years. The Italian fauna seems to be quite tame.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Why do we do it? Empty To the wanderer ....

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:22 pm

Gala Placidia wrote:I was merely commenting on how much more dangerous animals, reptiles and insects can be in other places, compared with what we get in Italy, and I happen to live in Australia for 25 years. The Italian fauna seems to be quite tame.
... keep on tracking... Don't take it so serious... I agree the Italian wild life is a kitten in comparison to some places... xXx

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Gala Placidia wrote:Ghiro I don't think that the local fauna is specially dangerous, providing that you take the necessary precautions and you obviously know what to do. You should see the size of reptiles and spiders in Australia! And the cuddly koalas are not as tame and loveable as most tourists think...
Thank you for that Gala.  Luckily living in Australia is, for us, even more unattractive than living in MK!

We're more than happy to brave the perils of our local forest if that's what it takes to enjoy the multiple pleasures that living in Italy bring us. Smile Smile
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum