The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nice to see Italy winning something...

+3
Vicino
Gala Placidia
stevegwmonkseaton
7 posters

Go down

Nice to see Italy winning something...  Empty Nice to see Italy winning something...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Victory LINK...

Laughing Laughing Laughing

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Nice to see Italy winning something...  Empty Re: Nice to see Italy winning something...

Post by Gala Placidia Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 am

Good on them! I noticed that most of the Azzurri play for Aussie teams...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Nice to see Italy winning something...  Empty Re: Nice to see Italy winning something...

Post by Vicino Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:41 am

For some strange reason, I always want Italy(or Italians) to do well since we arrived here, except in the case of football !

On another subject.............

Does anyone know what date next year's Corpus Domini is, we have some friends who want to come over for the floral displays amongst other things?

Thanks in advance,

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:18 pm

Corpus Domini (or Corpus Christi) is celebrated 60 days after Easter Sunday and in 2014 this would be Thursday 19th June; however, as it is not considered a public holiday, in Italy, as in most countries, it will be celebrated on the following Sunday and this will be on Sunday 22 June 2014.
Corpus Domini 2014
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:21 am

Im really chuffed for Italy winning - starting a team from scratch and enetering the 5 nations as the weak link for years takes some cogs.  And now, as the Italians (and Italian press) only ever talk about winners, they may get some coverage and support.  Rugby is such a poor relation to soccer here - and doesnt deserve to be.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:47 am

I agree with you, Modi, most people do not even think about rugby. This is certainly the reason why these excellent players have to join overseas teams. Obviously, this was beneficial for them. I don't think that they could have achieved this victory by staying in Italy, as competition is not high But obviously, they do have some excellent players.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:23 am

Nice to see them win but they won at Rugby League not Union which my husband assured me England are not very good at Shocked
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Nice to see Italy winning something...  Empty It was rugby league...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:51 pm

Admin wrote:Nice to see them win but they won at Rugby League not Union which my husband assured me England are not very good at Shocked
It was rugby league and I would hardly know the difference, but a quick Google would suggest England are ranked (internationally) 3rd in the world and Italia 13th... So it was quite a good win for them.... Very Happy

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:51 pm

This is an interesting link Rugby league vs rugby union
The facts that Rugby League is very popular in Australia and that most of the Italians play there certainly contributed to the team's victory.
Hubby (former union player in his youth) commented that league is faster and that there is a big difference in the scrums...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:36 pm

And not a flash in the pan!

In their first match of the Rugby League World Cup proper Italy beat Wales (and in Cardiff too) 16-32. Smile 

OH wonders whether they could actually be real contenders?
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:17 pm

Quite a convincing win!
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:26 am

Very surprised at the "English" press not making more of this... Perhaps it would be too embarrassing a reminder of our defeat by Italy and the fact we also lost our opening game..

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:36 am

Bad news do not "sell" very well. Give them a sensationalist headline and they will publish anything.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil D Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:29 pm

You'll be hard-pressed to find any coverage of this in Italy's sporting press.  Rugby League seems to be completely below the radar and I can't claim to be a fan either but I did enjoy the game against Wales and loved the post-match interviews with the 'Azzurri' - decidedly yellow-green in hue, however.
Neil D
Neil D
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down