The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sardinia horrendous rain

+2
Gala Placidia
stevegwmonkseaton
6 posters

Go down

Sardinia horrendous rain Empty Sardinia horrendous rain

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:16 pm

This really looks bad, do hope they get help soon and that we have no one here caught up in this tragic event LINK

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Sardinia horrendous rain Empty Re: Sardinia horrendous rain

Post by Gala Placidia Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:40 pm

Terrible! Latest news say that the death toll has risen to 18, including 4 children. A tragedy! Sardinia hit by cyclone
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by FBower Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:10 pm

don't we have several members in Sardinia ? Hope they are all OK sound horrendous

FBower
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:56 pm

From memory, I think that we have at least a couple. It would be good to hear from them.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:36 am

The cyclone is now in Campania, BAsicilata and Puglia - Very bad weather, damage and flooding in Crotone and Ionian coast, Catanzaro and Vibo Valentina with over 145 mm of rain.    A tromba d'aria in Gallipoli in Puglia, and heavy rains.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:24 am

I have a particular bee in my bonnet on this latest disaster, yesterday morning we were watching Sky News (I know I know !), and there was an American guy arrested for pointing a gun, there were 8 people killed in the Tornadoes, and NOT A SINGLE WORD about EIGHTEEN people dying in floods in Europe !!

I wrote an email complaining about the lack of any mention.

My family who I spoke with yesterday in the UK had heard nothing about it either.

Is there a reason that there is minimal coverage in the UK ?

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:29 pm

It is very surprising, as there are many Americans of Italian ancestry...
In any case, "Cleopatra" has also moved west towords the Balearic Islands and the Northeastern area of Spain, bringing lots of rain and high winds; however, the cyclone is much weaker now. Sardinia had to endure the worst part of it. The media is saying that the island was totally unprepared and that people were not warned about the severity of the situation.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by pas55 Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:14 pm

We have just flown back to the UK.Sundays weather forecast made no mention of what was coming.
For us in the south got off lightly just high winds,high seas and thunder.The central and north of the island received the worst.We heard of one whole family of 4 dying in their basement appartment.Also,a mother and daughter  drowning.
To be fare we did'nt know how bad things had been until Tuesday morning tv news.By the time we arrived home last night  we had many texts and calls from friends and family to see how we where.
It would seem 'flash floods where the biggest problems with over 5,000 separate thunder storms.
Gala Placidia wrote:It is very surprising, as there are many Americans of Italian ancestry...In any case, "Cleopatra" has also moved west towords the Balearic Islands and the Northeastern area of Spain, bringing lots of rain and high winds; however, the cyclone is much weaker now. Sardinia had to endure the worst part of it. The media is saying that the island was totally unprepared and that people were not warned about the severity of the situation.
pas55
pas55
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:23 pm

Glad to hear that you are safe and well. I also heard of the tragic story of the family, including 2 children, who died in their basement apartment. Obviouly,they did not get any warning and their death could have been prevented. Apparently, the other mother and child dead were driving in a car.  I also heard that in a matter of a short time, Sardinia got half of the yearly amount of rain that the whole of Italy gets... Really extreme conditions.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by pas55 Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:31 pm

And to think sunday we where swimming in the sea.By monday the waves where over 6 metres high
pas55
pas55
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:14 pm

In the years that we have lived here, there have been lots of disasters, across Italy, I think also of the animals who also perish, I recall one year a whole kennels being washed away near the coast in Le Marche ?

Good luck, our thoughts are with all that are affected.

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down