The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Light coloured garden furniture - attracts more flies?

4 posters

Go down

Light coloured garden furniture - attracts more flies? Empty Light coloured garden furniture - attracts more flies?

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:32 am

Anyone else noticed this? Don't know if it was just at that moment, but our multicolored rubbish bins had flies on the green and white, but not the yellow (surprised a little at that) or grey. However I digress, I have noticed of late that the white furniture (bought in our renting days) always attracts more flies, anyone else noticed this?

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Light coloured garden furniture - attracts more flies? Empty Re: Light coloured garden furniture - attracts more flies?

Post by Flip Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:13 pm

The reason the white furniture attracts more flies is that the reflected Sunlight from the light colour helps warm up the underside of the Flies bodies.. (should have posted this yesterday though)......
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Light coloured garden furniture - attracts more flies? Empty Re: Light coloured garden furniture - attracts more flies?

Post by FBower Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:00 pm

i had always been advised that flies were attracted to white houses so we are planning to repaint in pale yellow but was still concerned this colour could attract hornets. Any experience of this?

FBower
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by FBower Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:01 pm

i had always been advised that flies were attracted to white houses so we are planning to repaint in pale yellow but was still concerned this colour could attract hornets. Any experience of this?

FBower
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:03 pm

FBower wrote:i had always been advised that flies were attracted to white houses so we are planning to repaint in pale yellow but was still concerned this colour could attract hornets. Any experience of this?
None none at at all all.  Very Happy  Very Happy
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:43 pm

Hornets are attracted to anywhere that Bees are (that being their natural prey)so unless your yellow, white, pink,green, or blue house is the colour that is attractive to Bees then I don't think you have much to worry about.
P.S. as most insects are colour blind and only react to Infra red light then I don't think any colour is much of a concern.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down