The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do I need travel insurance?

+5
ghiro
Admin
modicasa
Cassini
Flip
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Why do I need travel insurance? - Page 2 Empty Why do I need travel insurance?

Post by ghiro Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

We usually spend more than 60 days continuously over the summer in Italy.  Most travel insurance policies are limited to 30 days/trip and extending them can be really quite expensive.

But why do we need travel insurance?  As we have European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) won't we be covered already?
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Why do I need travel insurance? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do I need travel insurance?

Post by Vicino Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:35 am

la alma,

I remember years ago when I used to 'work', I was covered by private medical insurance, sports injuries, health issues and pretty much everything was covered.

When I retired, I looked into taking out my own private health insurance, and they quoted something along the lines of £500+ per month !! And that was some 10 years ago !

So they do keep track of ailments !

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Why do I need travel insurance? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do I need travel insurance?

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:11 am

The EHIC will cover you for pre-existing or chronic conditions, providing you are not traveling to another country for the purpose of getting medical treatment which has not been previously authorized by the Health Authorities in your own EU country. Let me give an example. A person who has some cardiac problems, is undergoing treatment in the UK and is being medicated. The person travels to Italy and suffers an angina attack, a heart attack or a dangerous rise in blood pressure. Treatment will be available to the patient in Italy, because it is an emergency. On the other hand, a patient from the UK with those antecedents, who travels specifically to Italy to be operated or treated by some clinic or surgeon because he or she believes that the treatment or surgery will be better and has not received an authorization from the NHS prior to the trip will be refused those procedures using the EHIC (although the patient can always pay out of his pocket for those procedures or treatments).
La Alma, I would really advise you to reconsider your current attitude. Medication taken at the right time may be a life savior and will improve your quality of life. It will not prevent you from getting emergency treatment, if needed.
At least, not within the EU.
The problem is for those of us who have to get private insurance whenever traveling to a non-EU country.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by la alma Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:59 am

At the moment my quality of life seems pretty good Gala. I've been very put off medication by my job which has shown that one lot of medication often necessitates a lot of other medication to counteract the vast range of horrible side effects. Nowadays I never have as much as an aspirin or paracetamol, though I would take something if in serious pain. I used to take lots of painkillers for headaches until I read that they could actually be caused by an addiction to the painkillers I was taking. I haven't had a headache for years since and I used to get them all the time. If I really needed something I would take it, but so far everything seems reasonably ok.

la alma
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:03 pm

It is reassuring, La Alma, to see that your reluctance to seek medical attention relates mainly to bad experiences with certain medications. And yes, many painkillers and other medications may cause liver damage and headaches can be related to this condition, creating then a vicious circle. On the other hand, a low dose aspirin is very good for the heart...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:31 pm

Gala Placidia wrote:I may add that, except for repatriation - and it is not always possible or advisable to repatriate a patient and assistance "in situ" may be necessary - I fail to see too many reasons in favour of private travel insurance if you already have your EHIC and you are traveling within the EU.

As ever Gala you've firmly hit the nail on the head!

I too, despite all the various very good points raised on this excellent thread, fail to be convinced that buying private medical insurance while travelling/staying in the EU is either good value for money - or even worthwhile. Shocked
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:01 am

I will be glad if this helps you to make up your mind.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:32 am

I think the problem is that logically it isn't necessary in the EU and we are wasting our money. 

However, the older we get, the more I think our 'luck' may not continue and peace of mind becomes more valuable.  We have spent 10 years with only the first 30 days of our trips covered with no problem at all.  I am plagued with that 'what if' scenario.  I am also in the mode of 'simplifying' our life and if for one ongoing annual payment I can forget about travel insurance and go where-ever we want whenever we want without thinking about it, that is worth it for me.

My husband doesn't agree, but he isn't the one that looks after all the paperwork and arranges all these things - so I just pay the premium for 90 days cover and he is none the wiser!  I am the one who will be at the coal face when he gets ill/has an accident and I want someone to deal with that speaks English.  That is the bottom line for me.  If my language skills were better I may look at things differently.  My brain says I am wasting my money, but my heart says go for it!

Slightly linked - we have our travel insurance through our Nationwide bank account and it also gives us European breakdown insurance.  In December our car was 'shunted' from behind while we were stationary at a roundabout in Italy.  No-one injured, other car gave all the details, car still drivable, just a bit battered.  We have Saga insurance and they were marvellous - just one phone call - permission to spend up to x amount on repairs without reference back to them.  However, when I asked about a hire car, that wasn't covered in Europe but I was told to contact our breakdown insurance as they liaised together a lot on claims.  I did that and would just like to say how fantastic they were - car hire provided, phone calls checking everything was fine, organised appointments with garages to get quotes.  Car hire extended when the repair ran over, etc, etc.  Final phone call checking we required no more assistance before they shut the case.  They always sent a text following a phone call confirming what had been arranged, which is so useful when you are quite stressed and forget what you have arranged with who.

So far so good with all the extras we get with our Nationwide account - highly recommend.

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:30 am

Totally agree, whilst in the EU, there should be no probs, not sure if you happen to travel through Switzerland though !

I certainly have a massive dislike of insurance companies, 'give us your money and we might pay out if you jump through loads of hoops !!!'

V Evil or Very Mad
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum