The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cerinthe major 'Purpurascens' (Honeywort)

4 posters

Go down

Cerinthe major 'Purpurascens' (Honeywort) Empty Cerinthe major 'Purpurascens' (Honeywort)

Post by Angela Fuller Wed May 22, 2013 7:48 am

Can really recommend this plant, an early flowering annual, blue grey foliage, purple bell like flowers, height 1 - 2 ft, self sows,will try to post a picture.......not sure if we can ?????
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Cerinthe major 'Purpurascens' (Honeywort) Empty Re: Cerinthe major 'Purpurascens' (Honeywort)

Post by Perlasca Wed May 22, 2013 9:06 am

I think you may have introduced this to me Angie in a Facebook group!

I stuck some seeds in last year and then couldn't remember what these rather exotic looking things were when they all came up! Bees love the flowers and the plant does look slightly tropical. And if they are going to self-seed they are almost my perfect plant

Perlasca
Elder

Back to top Go down

Cerinthe major 'Purpurascens' (Honeywort) Empty Re: Cerinthe major 'Purpurascens' (Honeywort)

Post by Angela Fuller Wed May 22, 2013 10:33 am

Yes, Perlasca, I did post a picture of it on a FB site, glad you picked up on it and sowed a few seeds. It is the perfect plant for ground cover when other plants getting established, roses, shrubs etc but beware.....it is amazingly prolific so I do find myself pulling lots out. When back in UK I had no luck growing it, (10 seeds £2.50 and none would grow), maybe the answer is fresh seed.....Just given my neighbour a load of last years seed, hopefully they will germinate and the bees will have a good time...The other must have on banks plant is Thyme as I am sure you know, one of my fav' plants...... Where abouts are you ? I am nr Gualdo, Marche.
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed May 22, 2013 8:12 pm

I did not know this plant, but it looks beautiful and easy to grow. It also has a long and interesting history: http://www.alchemy-works.com/info_honeywort.html
Fascinating!
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Thu May 23, 2013 6:09 am

I forgot to say it makes a good cut flower too. You just need to sear the stems first and it should last for up to a week in a vase. My early Spring sown seed is a mass of flower now and if you stagger the sowing you can have flowers from May until Nov....just sow diractly into the ground....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Cerinthe major 'Purpurascens' (Honeywort) Empty Where to get some seeds?

Post by strawberrystar Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:22 am

Hello everyone

This sounds like a dream plant for me! Can you point me in the direction of a place where I could purchase some seeds (hopefully at a slightly more reasonable - and successful - price than in the UK!)

Thanks very much

strawberrystar
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:30 am

Hello strawberrystar....(nice name).  I do have seeds but strangely I cannot locate them where they should be....I have a bank of it flowering now so I will collect the seeds. Maybe fresh is the best, so will collect a load......and send some to you if you PM address.....Angie
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum