The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two days of olive picking...

4 posters

Go down

Two days of olive picking... Empty Two days of olive picking...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:29 pm

.. how about you in this lovely weather (it is all over Italy I hope?). We actually spent 3 days picking olives, but not consecutive. Had a small taste of the first new oil of the year and simply love the experience, but would not want to do too many more days...! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Two days of olive picking... Empty Re: Two days of olive picking...

Post by ghiro Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:00 pm

Steve.  We have lots of olive trees around the house (more than 25) but they're mostly young so our olive harvest is, as yet, disappointing.

This has it's advantages as we can currently buy excellent oil without any of the hard work Smile 

We are aware however that, in the next few years, fings will change and we're going to have to break our backs to pick and press the olives to make our very own oil - but won't it be worth it! bounce bounce
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:02 am

G. We have other friends here who have around 25-30 trees planted 5 years ago. They also picked these last week and we helped them. Took all of a morning and they got 109kg. Fortunately the guy they bought off is a very good friend and helps them with the pruning and goes with them to the frantoio and adds the olives to his (which they helped him pick - he has circa 300-400 trees (or plants as they call them)). Our friends has a lone of his nets for their picking and they made so, so much difference as they were huge. So I think for the first few years you won't have any trouble with your back, legs perhaps if they are on a slope... It's great fun mind you!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:31 am

Ours aren't ready yet. Another 3 weeks or so we reckon. Probably about a month of picking though so we will be having aching backs!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:47 am

You are very brave, indeed! I would not last an hour. I guess that the satisfaction of enjoying your very own olive oil pays for all the effort... and the paracetamol Wink
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:41 pm

Yikes!! A month of picking, how many trees , picked by hand and do they get pressed daily..... WoW some work me thinks... we got dragged in to our neighbours picking today and it looks like their final fling Sunday! Still in was great in the beautiful sunshine...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down