The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

REQUIEM FOR THE LITTLE DOG WHO LOVED ITALY

+8
Vicino
Hazy
ghiro
Flip
lancashire lass
stevegwmonkseaton
Geotherm
Gala Placidia
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

REQUIEM FOR THE LITTLE DOG WHO LOVED ITALY Empty REQUIEM FOR THE LITTLE DOG WHO LOVED ITALY

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:02 pm

She really loved Italy and used to get very excited when seeing the suitcases as she knew that we were going to Bagni di Lucca. Actually, my husband used to joke about Tequila carrying more luggage than us...
For the past nine years, she came to Italy  with us at least  twice a year, in our car, staying overnight at hotels and coming with us everywhere we went: Bagni di Lucca, of course, where she was popular with neighbours and friends, Liguria, Emilia Romagna, Le Marche, Umbria, Lazio, Campania... From the Vatican to Loreto, From the Cinque Terre to the Costiera Amalfitana, from the Coliseum to Paestum...so many wonderful times and memories! Tequila loved pasta with grated cheese, enjoyed the "bistecca fiorentina" and would kill for gelatto. But she was 18 years of age, she already had a heart murmur and her collapsed tracchea was not getting better. We tried everything; however, we realized that 3 morphine injections a day were not giving her quality of life and it was selfish to prolongue her agony.
So this week, we had to let her go...
We will miss her enormously. Our morning coffee at Ponte a Serraglio or at the bar near our home will not be the same, but she had a good life with us after being abandoned by her previous owners. We think that she quickly forgot about those bad times.
Arrivederci, Tequila. We will meet again . And you will always be in our thoughts.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

REQUIEM FOR THE LITTLE DOG WHO LOVED ITALY Empty Re: REQUIEM FOR THE LITTLE DOG WHO LOVED ITALY

Post by Geotherm Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:40 pm

Condolences Gala. It is always a great loss to lose a companion, especially after 18 years.
Hope Tequila is now in doggy heaven, having lots of steaks and pasta. ( Cats are banned there, unless she likes them ).
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

REQUIEM FOR THE LITTLE DOG WHO LOVED ITALY Empty Re: REQUIEM FOR THE LITTLE DOG WHO LOVED ITALY

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:06 pm

Thank you, Geo. She loved cats, and even rabbits, which is quite unusual. We had to care for our daughter's pet rabbit and they used to watch tv together! They both went together to Bagni di Lucca for holidays! I'm sure that there is also a special heaven for all animals. But, as you rightly say, it is very hard when they leave us...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:35 pm

... very sad...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:46 pm

Thank you, Steve. I knew that it would happen... but the last few weeks have been terrible. Just like loosing a family member and nothing prepares you for that.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:31 pm

So so sorry Gala for your loss.

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:45 pm

Thank you so much, lancashire lass. These last weeks have been very difficult.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Gala very very saddened by your news. Tequila looked such a lovely little pooch, and I know from experience that words cannot express the loss you are feeling at the moment. She will be missed in Bagni by all who knew her. Thinking of you.
F x
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:03 pm

Very sorry to hear of your loss Gala.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazy Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:40 am

So sorry, I am sure you and yours are in everyone's thoughts.

Hazy
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:43 am

Thank you, Flip, Ghiro and Hazy. Yes, she was a lovely companion and a very gentle and affectionate little dog. She did not bark (for a while, we thought that she was mute) and she was friendly with everyone. We are missing her enormously and our forthcoming trip to Bagni in May will not be the same...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:48 am

Gala, Very very sorry to hear of your sad loss and what you had to go through.  Crying or Very sad 

V

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:57 am

18 years - that will leave a huge hole in your life.  Sorry to hear your news.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:51 am

Thank you, Vicino, for your thoughts and the beautiful story about Rainbow Bridge. I do trust that Tequila will be happy there.
Modi, thank you. Yes, she was a very old lady, but we adopted her (or better said, she adopted us" some 14 years ago, when she already was 4-5 years old). It was only in the past 12 months when she started to decline, so she had a long, active life. She was a Yorkie - Shih Tzu cross and perhaps she lived longer than average for that reason, as many times pedigree dogs have genetic problems.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:28 pm

So sorry Gala.  We have lost three much long loved family dogs through our married life.  They are all so fondly remembered and treasured.  They are part of the family and the grief is as bad as for any other member, but sadly often non pet owners cannot comprehend the depths of that grief.  All our three are buried in our garden and I still talk to them.  Tequila won't be forgotten and memories are forever.

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:28 pm

So sorry Gala.  We have lost three much long loved family dogs through our married life.  They are all so fondly remembered and treasured.  They are part of the family and the grief is as bad as for any other member, but sadly often non pet owners cannot comprehend the depths of that grief.  All our three are buried in our garden and I still talk to them.  Tequila won't be forgotten and memories are forever.

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:51 pm

Thank you, Flying pigs. You do understand what we are going through. All my other cats and dogs are buried in our garden, in Australia. They all died naturally, during their sleep, so it was less painful for us. I will take Tequila's ashes to Italy. She will always be in our thoughts, as she was very special.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:35 am

We had to take the decision for all our three, but we knew the time was right for them.  Each one was in our arms in the garden and the nurse and vet were not allowed to wear white coats.  Our last memories, particularly of our golden retriever who used to come to Italy with us, were of sun and peace on their faces.

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:35 am

We had to take the decision for all our three, but we knew the time was right for them.  Each one was in our arms in the garden and the nurse and vet were not allowed to wear white coats.  Our last memories, particularly of our golden retriever who used to come to Italy with us, were of sun and peace on their faces.

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:47 am

I also held Tequila in my arms and it was the only decision to make. But it is very difficult. I thought that I was going to feel better, but I remember her all the time through the smallest details. I guess that I need more time to get used to the idea....
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:34 am

Having had pets all of our lives, we are currently without as our lovely stray pussy cat passed away a few months ago, because of the heartache, we are fighting against taking another.

Our cat was also going through some pain and we had her to the vets regularly for treatments, one day we came home and he was lying there, he looked up (rather than his normal getting up) and gave a little whimper, I picked him up, 4 hours later he had gone! It was as if he had hung on for us to come home !

Pets are wonderful, but my gawd you hurt when they go !

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:26 pm

I totally agree, Vicino. It is terribly hard. This is why we are not having any more pets. Fortunately, our daughter in San Francisco has a lovely black labrador called Max and we visit her quite often. He is very affectionate and whenever we are there, he follows us around all the time. We have known him since he was a puppy and he is still a young dog. So that will be all for me from now on...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa C. Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:49 pm

So very sorry to hear about Tequila Gala.  She sounds like a truly special lady.  I wanted to tell you that you are in my thoughts at this difficult time.
Lisa C.
Lisa C.
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Thank you so much, Lisa C. I really appreciate your kind thoughts.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri May 09, 2014 7:26 pm

Well guys, leaving for Italy tomorrow morning with a stopover in France. Taking Tequila's ashes to be buried in Italy. She would have loved that. Missing her terribly. I had to make changes to our bookings, as they all had the mention "travelling with our little dog". Actually, we have realised that we have a lot of space left in the car. She was a star and had to travel with lots of luggage, including her bed.
So, if you don't hear from me for a few days, you know why...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum