The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yearly boosters for pets

+2
Admin
Angela Fuller
6 posters

Go down

Yearly boosters for pets Empty Yearly boosters for pets

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:07 pm

I was just wondering what are you thoughts....some for some against.....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Yearly boosters for pets Empty Re: Yearly boosters for pets

Post by Admin Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:53 pm

Heart worm tablets a must as is Leishmaniasis prevention
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:23 pm

With all the ticks about, it is worth some form of inoculation regime but only the owner will know of the benefit of some boosters as a lot depends on the environment one lives in and the contact the dog has with other animals or dogs.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:25 pm

To get our 2 pooches back to the UK they have to have had rabies injections (plus booster when required) and a 'worm pill' administered by a vet.  Anti flee & tick stuff is no longer required. 

The pet control people at Calais are firm but fair! Smile
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:38 pm

Ours have regular treatments of advantix, or prac-tic for the setter, monthly through the spring/summer months.
They are both wormed at the recommended time periods, plus the injections as required.
I personaly think that you should keep to a regime for the animal.
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:00 pm

I always gave my dogs all vaccinations and treatments and was extremely careful about tick and flee prevention and control. They all lived long and healthy lives; however, a few days ago, our "Tequila's" best friend, a 10 year old toy poodle who also regularly had all the prescribed treatments and vaccinations died of "ehrlichiosis", an awful disease caused by a bacteria transmitted by a tick bite (just Google it... Not nice reading) and this has left me totally confused. Are all these vaccines and treatments as effective as they are supposed to be?
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:29 am

I do treat for ticks and fleas regulary, Bella dog wears a Scalibor collar from April to Oct and has flea treatment every month during that time.....I am just not sure the yearly jab is necessary and does not give protection for things like Leishmaniasis.  We live in a very rural situation and apart from friends calling with their dogs, sadly she has little contact with other dogs...I suppose my question was why does the innoculation only last a year, I have read it is only necessary for young and old dogs ???
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:22 am

There are two opposite schools of thought about vaccinations, not only for dogs, but for humans as well. I tend to go along with vaccinations. As for ticks, having lived in Australia, I always looked for all the available protection. But then, after the death of this poor dog, I heard from his owner that the vet said that in spite of all the prevention measures, a tick can still bite the animal, although it will not stay with it because of the prevention. But just one bite is enough to transmit those awful diseases, which are, in most cases, deadly. As for rabies, many country animals can pass on the disease. I would tend to be on the safe side and vaccinate.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down