The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froglets

4 posters

Go down

Froglets Empty Froglets

Post by ghiro Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:18 pm

When we arrived at Casa Ghiro in early July we were surprised by the large number of froglets. Shocked 

A froglet is just like a normal frog but about 1 inch/2.5 cm long.  Needless to say we just assumed they were baby frogs who would, in time, grow into full sized frogs.

But this is not the case.  Throughout the summer up to 10 froglets would be in the swimming pool skimmers every day - some dead and some valiantly swimming against the tide (who, of course, I rescued).

Tonight I went outside onto the terrace only to meet yet another froglet! Smile   

Is it something strange about this summer or is there now a breed of pygmy-frogs?  I've had one mega-toad in the skimmer this year (which I saved of course) but no 'normal' sized frogs.

We've never experienced this before in the last 6 years.  Any thoughts? Question
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Froglets Empty Re: Froglets

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:36 am

I don't think we have any experts here on frogs Laughing Laughing (or do we?). I can only think of 2 we have ever seen around the house and perhaps the same number of toads. However we hear hundreds if not thousands at the start of the year, they move (based on sound at night) over a few months from the bottom of the valley, I assume somehow past out house and down into a massive man-made pond. They remain there all summer making a tremendous noise  each evening. Recently (about the start of this month) the sound moved back across the other side of the house, so I guess summer has ended. Of the 2 frogs I seem to recall, one was attached to the front door of the downstairs kitchen, it was a stunning bright green with little yellow marks and about 2-3cm long - beautiful. Perhaps the weather in Italy this year has made a difference, we have not seen any more frogs, but certainly noticed a lot of different wildlife and numbers.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:56 am

Ghiro, a couple of yeas ago, I started seeing some small frogs around the house and I found out that they belonged to a native species, the Italian tree frog. They are quite pretty and we see them every year. My husband has also seen some froglets in the water pools the river forms under the mill. They are protected species, so we should help them as much as we can. Italian tree frog
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Froglets Empty That looks like the chap!

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:09 am

Gala Placidia wrote:Ghiro, a couple of yeas ago, I started seeing some small frogs around the house and I found out that they belonged to a native species, the Italian tree frog. They are quite pretty and we see them every year. My husband has also seen some froglets in the water pools the river forms under the mill. They are protected species, so we should help them as much as we can. Italian tree frog

That looks like the chap!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:37 pm

stevegwmonkseaton wrote:That looks like the chap!

Absolutely not!! Sad

But thanks for the suggestion.  My froglets are not bright green and also not that large.

Perplexing  Mad !

Last edited by ghiro on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:06 pm

Well... Have your pick, Ghiro. Toads? Frogs? Quite a few to choose from Very Happy Italian amphibians
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:17 pm

Maybe Ghiro all the big Frogs have Hopped it or Croaked !! lol!
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum