The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will VPN access for TV become more difficult?

+3
The Original Relaxed
Admin
ghiro
7 posters

Go down

Will VPN access for TV become more difficult? Empty Will VPN access for TV become more difficult?

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:14 pm

I don't use vpn as I have no need for it, but know many do to watch TV in Italy and perhaps access certain other sites that insist you be present in a certain country/area. Does THIS BBC LINK indicate there may be a threat to this?

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Will VPN access for TV become more difficult? Empty Re: Will VPN access for TV become more difficult?

Post by Flip Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:39 pm

Some popular VPN sites have been blocked from accessing certain (BBC iPlayer, etc) Location based services as their IP address is recognises as purely proxy server based, which has led to some providers excluding them, Netflix I'm not sure about as it's primarily a pay for view site, but there is something in all these types of services written into theb small print which states that Geographical limitations may apply. 
Why one would pay for this kind of service eg Netflix, when it's content is readily available free on the internet though is beyond me.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Will VPN access for TV become more difficult? Empty Re: Will VPN access for TV become more difficult?

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:52 pm

Flip wrote:....Why one would pay for this kind of service eg Netflix, when it's content is readily available free on the internet though is beyond me.

I guess because some people don't want to use potentially dodgy sites or have their access to their favourite TV/Sport all of a sudden lost - wizziwig being a good example.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:01 pm

If one takes sensible precautions and uses proper antivirus/adblock/spyware protection then there is little or no risk.
 Wiziwig now uses a different ID so it is not lost, you just have to be up with the game Steve.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:09 pm

Flip wrote:If one takes sensible precautions and uses proper antivirus/adblock/spyware protection then there is little or no risk. Wiziwig now uses a different ID so it is not lost, you just have to be up with the game Steve.

No interest in games these days Flip and there is no chance of me being caught out, best precaution going is not to play!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:20 pm

Don't play games, but use wiziwig for watching a lot of sport.
Use Filmon, for live tv, Streamallthis for many series.
As Flip says, with the right AV/Adblocker etc, you should have very little, if any problems.
Add the free Malwarebytes prog and just do a weekly scan. Most problems if any are just "PUPS", so can be cleared easily.
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:25 pm

We also use Filmon for most live TV (when FreeSat isn't working) at Casa Ghiro.  But we do use a VPN for Sky & BT.  Whether this is still working I'll let you know shortly on our next visit.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:19 am

Wiziwig has just closed down too.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Relaxed Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:55 am

I think this is more an issue for the likes of Netflix (paid services) than for 'mainstream' UK TV.

I've noticed though that some (recently made or blockbuster) films on the BBC are simply not streamed to the Internet. (In other words you can't even see them on a computer located in the UK).

Nor are certain programmes like A Question of Sport (that's not been streamed for ages) and recently the BBC weren't streaming Formula 1 to the iplayer - though they were streaming it to their sports website. (That may have been audio, I can't recall).

Has anyone in the UK got one of these 'Internet tellies' and does that work in these seemingly unstreamed programmes? Or do you need to tell it to use a 'broadcast' signal.

I can see Netflix's point of view to an extent, and I can also see the pov of the film-makers. The motives of the sports bodies are generally obvious (Sky or other paid sports subscription channels bring pressure to bear).

Personally I don't think the BBC will get difficult about vpn use, at least not until they manage to levy a charge and make overseas viewing 'legit' .
The Original Relaxed
The Original Relaxed
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:58 am

You can now go directly to cricfree to watch the sports. It was on wiziwig as one of their streams before:

http://cricfree.tv/
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:17 pm

Cricfree is a good site and you will find that a lot of site now regularly change their 'dot com' address to avoid sanctions.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Perlasca Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:48 pm

I have always assumed that the reason Iplayer and the like are concerned is not so much because they are losing revenue by us expats furtively watching their stuff for "free", but more because their contract with the programme provider will be limited to eg UK only.  So they need to be seen to be cracking down on any distribution which is in contravention of that licence

Eventually I assume all content will be dealt with on a non-terestrial internet basis and we will be able to legitimately buy a licence to watch over the interweb and all will be well  Smile

Perlasca
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:05 pm

Perlasca, that is the ultimate fly in the ointment, as any regulation or licensing of the Internet will ring the death knell of it all. The internet, rightly or wrongly, must remain a free, unregulated by corporations, uncensored entity as it's only purpose should be to facilitate the free movement of information, no matter what content, to the masses on every continent. If censorship takes over for monetary or copyright reasons then the whole purpose is lost.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:38 pm

Think Perlasca has it right, contractual TV situation is what puts the block on TV being shown outside of its own country. Also think it will be a long time until this changes as it involves a lot of dosh!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Perlasca Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:36 am

Flip wrote:Perlasca, that is the ultimate fly in the ointment, as any regulation or licensing of the Internet will ring the death knell of it all. The internet, rightly or wrongly, must remain a free, unregulated by corporations, uncensored entity as it's only purpose should be to facilitate the free movement of information, no matter what content, to the masses on every continent. If censorship takes over for monetary or copyright reasons then the whole purpose is lost.

Not talking about licensing the internet Flip - I can't see how that would be possible.  But it is already full of stuff we have to pay to see - The Times/Netflix etc.  That's what I am talking about.  I pay for my morning paper so don't mind paying for other information services of my choice

TV as we know it won't exist in 10 years: we will all be subscribing to content that we prefer.  I very much hope that the BBC survives this and remains as one of the most respected content providers in the world

Perlasca
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:14 am

It would indeed be a great shame if the beeb did not survive any changes to TV as we know it. I think they have already started adapting and hopefully will continue to concentrate at what they are very good at. I don't think they can compete with the commercial sports of this day and age and unfortunately will not therefore be able to show these live in future. In the long run let's hope the sports are not killing the golden goose by their greed.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:31 pm

The BBC is loosing all Live Sports coverage slowly but surely, just lost Open Golf and in my opinion, the BBC should stick to things it does well, Drama & Documentaries etc, as most Sport will be going Pay For View eventually via Sky, Virgin or BT. I feel the BBC needs to be kept in check and source other revenue from sales of Films and Programmes that it makes.
However there will always be someone out there in the Interweb that will relay coverage a few seconds after it is broadcast live, so the Spectre of having to pay to watch Sport on TV will never fully mature as long as the  Internet remains a free ''unregulated'' media.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down