The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

selling foreign registered and licensed cars

5 posters

Go down

selling foreign registered and licensed cars Empty selling foreign registered and licensed cars

Post by casa del campanile Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:08 am

Anyone know of a car dealership in the general Lunigiana or adjacent areas, probably a used car dealer, that outright buys foreign licensed cars as opposed to taking them as trade-ins. We are going with a lease program that does not take “trade-ins” so will have to take our German registered and licensed car back to Germany to de-register, turn in plates etc. As this is a four day project, would prefer to sell here at a very low price to someone who will go through the process of importing the car. We have all the original purchase papers needed for importing. Should anyone have any advice or interest in the car, please let us know.
2000 Subaru Forester small SUV, AWD, 130,000 kilometers, manual transmission, turbo gasoline engine, fully equipped, (A/C, CD player, seat warmers), excellent mechanical condition, very clean interior, exterior shows scars of 10 years of Italian parking lots, etc. Has brand new tires and by mounting snow tires with AWD one is good to go in snowy areas. Has current TUV. (German version of MOT).
Only non-working feature is a little clock above the dashboard that decides on its own when to turn on. Say E1500
casa del campanile
casa del campanile
Elder

Back to top Go down

selling foreign registered and licensed cars Empty Re: selling foreign registered and licensed cars

Post by Flip Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:59 pm

CDC good luck with that, when I was looking to sell on my relatively new (2012) UK reg VW Passat estate here I was met with complete apathy because of several reasons:-
The Paperwork involved with re registration would have cost nearly €700
The Notary fees to ensure that there are no outstanding debts/charges on the car would be around €450.
There were other costs I can not remember but all in all  it would be around €2000 to complete all this and thereby no margin whatsoever for a dealer.
My advice seeing as your vehicle is only worth €1500 and is Petrol to boot is either scrap it and save yourself the hassle or take it one last journey back to Germany and sell it there for a pittance.

Last edited by Flip on Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fogot something)
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

selling foreign registered and licensed cars Empty Re: selling foreign registered and licensed cars

Post by casa del campanile Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:14 pm

Flip,
thanks for your posting; good advice. Car is in such good shape and is reliable transportation so it is a shame to scrap it when it could benefit someone needing inexpensive transportation. Would consider just giving it to someone if they could handle the import process. In the US would just donate it to a charity and they find a needy person/family. Not aware of anything similar here.
Ah well, haven't had a good schnitzel for some time.
ciao,
Fred
casa del campanile
casa del campanile
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:04 pm

I usually drive a UK vehicle when in Italy.  On the rare occasions I've been stopped by the carabinieri they've wanted to see:
My driving license and
The car's registration documents and
An insurance certificate
Incidentally there is no legal requirement for a UK car to be taxed in the UK to be driven in Italy (and there's now no tax disc displayed in the windscreen).

So if I buy your car from you:
I'll still have my driving license
You'll provide me with the registration documents and
I can arrange insurance

So what's the problem?  Why do I need re-registration, notary fees and others (unspecified by Flip) amounting to some €2000? 

As far as the carabinieri are concerned I'm a Brit driving an insured German reg car quite legally.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:58 am

Because Fred remains responsible for the car. If it is involved in an accident and is deemd not road-worthy it is Fred who is responsible.

Can you arrange insurance for a car registered in Germany to be used in Italy when you are resident in the UK? That would be an interesting prospect.

I think someone was having Flip on to be honest. I've registered 4 UK cars here in Italy and never had to have a Notary involved. That's a bit of BS in my opinion. The cost has never been more than €700 and that involved getting a special doc from the manufacturer as it was an old car and didn't have the EU paperwork. I suspect the dealer just didn't want to do it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:57 am

Admin wrote:Because Fred remains responsible for the car. If it is involved in an accident and is deemd not road-worthy it is Fred who is responsible. Can you arrange insurance for a car registered in Germany to be used in Italy when you are resident in the UK? That would be an interesting prospect.I think someone was having Flip on to be honest. I've registered 4 UK cars here in Italy and never had to have a Notary involved. That's a bit of BS in my opinion. The cost has never been more than €700 and that involved getting a special doc from the manufacturer as it was an old car and didn't have the EU paperwork. I suspect the dealer just didn't want to do it.

Actually, I was not talking about Re-registering a UK car here in Italy to Italian plates, but as Fred was asking about selling a car not  registered in Italy to someone here, which I believe has to have an Notary draw up a Procura a Vendere together with the Passaggio di Proprieta, before one can sell it on hence the charges.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:08 am

As a follow on to this, apparently there has been a recent change to Driving Licence laws (according to our chum in the ACI office) that applies to people who are Resident in Italy, that one is required to change over a non Italian Driving Licence to an Italian one within a year of attaining residency, not as previous when ones current licence expired. This is for obvious reasons for checking if you can legally drive in Italy and you haven't been banned in your home Country also to allow them to put points on for infringements. This I think will apply more to people driving Italian registered cars not UK registered ones, as you could bluff your way out of it if you don't have to show ID card, but it shows that the Caribinere are trying to shut this particular door for expats.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:16 am

Flip, you used to have to go to a Notary to sell a car but that hasn't been the case for many years. A local driving school can do it all for you. You pay all the taxes t them and it is all done electronically.

If Fred is selling a German registered car to a Brit who will never register it here then it definitely wouldn't need a Notary nor a driving school. It doesn't have an Italian plate so you can't register the sale.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:31 pm

Looks like I was given the run around by the Guys we tried to sell to then, this was 3 years ago though, obviously they were not interested in doing it so made it seem expensive.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

selling foreign registered and licensed cars Empty selling foreign registered and licensed cars

Post by casa del campanile Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:00 pm

Thanks to all who have responded to my query. After checking out the possibilities have decided to take the "schnitzel express" route. Drive the car to the dealer in Germany, enjoy some German beer, schnitzel, haxen, etc. and have them dispose of the car in the most expeditious manner. This way we are legally clear of any responsibility. Thanks again.
Fred
casa del campanile
casa del campanile
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:02 pm

Flip wrote:This is for obvious reasons for checking if you can legally drive in Italy and you haven't been banned in your home Country .....
Interestingly I've recently discovered that you can legally drive in Europe even when you've been banned in the UK.  Bizarre but true.  Surprised
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by alan h Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:52 pm

ghiro wrote:
Flip wrote:This is for obvious reasons for checking if you can legally drive in Italy and you haven't been banned in your home Country .....
Interestingly I've recently discovered that you can legally drive in Europe even when you've been banned in the UK.  Bizarre but true.  Surprised

Extract from a UK based 'legal' website -

" ........However, in order to drive abroad most countries will insist on you having a valid driving licence. In the absence of a valid driving licence you would be unable to hire a car or drive a car hired by someone else. You would also struggle to obtain insurance.

If you decide to drive abroad whilst you are disqualified in this country, although you will not be committing the offence of driving whilst disqualified, you could be committing the offence of driving without a valid licence."

So they can 'get you all ways up' Sad
alan h
alan h
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:58 pm

With respect alan h, nobody in the UK comes round to your house and confiscates your UK license.

So, if you hire a car abroad, your license is still 'valid' as you're only banned in the UK.  And the insurance is supplied by the car hire company.

Strange, isn't it? Surprised
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:41 am

ghiro wrote:With respect alan h, nobody in the UK comes round to your house and confiscates your UK license.So, if you hire a car abroad, your license is still 'valid' as you're only banned in the UK.  And the insurance is supplied by the car hire company.Strange, isn't it? Surprised

Like to see you argue that at the side of the road with the Caribinere, or in a Court of Law. Also if hiring a car you have to produce that code that enables the Hire Company to check your licence with the DVLA then what??
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down