The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EARTHQUAKE OF 5.2 IN MASSA CARRARA AND GARFAGNANA

+7
stevegwmonkseaton
jacie g
Geotherm
lancashire lass
Flip
ghiro
Gala Placidia
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

EARTHQUAKE OF 5.2 IN MASSA CARRARA AND GARFAGNANA - Page 2 Empty EARTHQUAKE OF 5.2 IN MASSA CARRARA AND GARFAGNANA

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

There has been a 5.2 earthquake with its epicentre in the Massa Carrara area, just at the border with the Garfagnana and the Emilia Romagna region. There has been no reports of victims or damages, but it has been felt in many regions. We did not notice anything in our area of Bagni di Lucca, but perhaps others may have noticed it, as it was fairly strong. I do hope that nobody was hurt!
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

EARTHQUAKE OF 5.2 IN MASSA CARRARA AND GARFAGNANA - Page 2 Empty Re: EARTHQUAKE OF 5.2 IN MASSA CARRARA AND GARFAGNANA

Post by Flip Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:30 am

Great idea Ghiro, will be making headway into the Peroni stash today and distributing the empties around the bedrooms...
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

EARTHQUAKE OF 5.2 IN MASSA CARRARA AND GARFAGNANA - Page 2 Empty Re: EARTHQUAKE OF 5.2 IN MASSA CARRARA AND GARFAGNANA

Post by ghiro Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:33 am

Preparation is everything Flip Very Happy
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by JulianaAlice Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:02 am

I have see from my iphone earthquake ap that tremors continue in the Lunigiana area with some over 3.5 heading towards 4.5.  Nobody is reporting anything on this forum; does that mean you can't feel them, or you are putting on brave faces? 

Sheila on CiaoLunigiana said on her report of the 'big one' recently, "Mr Ciao Lunigiana and I  looked at each other and fled into the house to take refuge under a particularly strong archway, where we permanently keep a whistle and some water".

The whistle bit sounds like a good idea.  I have bought a Rohan whistle with a 122 decibel, ear-piercing shriek the JetScream™️.  It is said it is one of the most effective emergency signalling devices available.  http://www.rohan.co.uk/Product/Detail/IconsOfUsefulDesign_03501?ocode=03501610

I'll keep it under my pillow and in my bag during my next visit to our holiday home later this month.   Not that I feel nervous or anything ....... What a Face
JulianaAlice
JulianaAlice
Elder

http://www.familychest.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by lancashire lass Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:11 am

Well we felt another one yesterday afternoon in Bagni, i was using the computer and the  desk waws shaking.
Lancashire lass

lancashire lass
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:44 am

I am not currently in the area. My neighbours usually send me a message in cases like this,  but I have not heard from them. I must add that we did nt feel anything during the "big" one. I guess that it all depends where you are and the location of the epicentre. I have been looking at the news and apparently people panicked in the Versilia area...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:27 am

More seismic activity in the early hours today, the largest being 3.9.

The earth moved for me!! Very Happy
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:57 am

Il Tirreno (LU) reports two episodes today  3.4 and 3.3 always centred around Fivizzano and Casole
http://iltirreno.gelocal.it/massa/cronaca/2013/07/12/news/terremoto-continua-la-paura-due-scosse-di-magnitudo-3-4-1.7407107
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by charlitaly Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:30 pm

I live close to Fivizzano and there have been over 1700 aftershocks and other quakes since the 21st June, including one on 30th of 4.5 and many over 3 and lots over 2. So  the ground hasn't stopped moving  for 3 weeks.
There was a 2.1 only 30 minutes ago
There is a lot of fear and stress in the area and there has been significant damage to property and some villages left uninhabitable. 
Currently 600 families who have homes that are certified uninhabitable.
Many people have been sleeping in their cars and in tents and there are tent cities in most of the major villages.
The area is still on high alert.
The great thing is that no one has been killed and that is why the situation isn't news worthy and no one realises how seriously this part of the Lunigiana  has been hit and continues to struggle

charlitaly
Contributor

http://www.lunigianavilla.com

Back to top Go down

EARTHQUAKE OF 5.2 IN MASSA CARRARA AND GARFAGNANA - Page 2 Empty It is a worry

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:29 pm

charlitaly wrote:I live close to Fivizzano and there have been over 1700 aftershocks and other quakes since the 21st June, including one on 30th of 4.5 and many over 3 and lots over 2. So  the ground hasn't stopped moving  for 3 weeks.There was a 2.1 only 30 minutes agoThere is a lot of fear and stress in the area and there has been significant damage to property and some villages left uninhabitable. Currently 600 families who have homes that are certified uninhabitable.Many people have been sleeping in their cars and in tents and there are tent cities in most of the major villages.
The area is still on high alert.
The great thing is that no one has been killed and that is why the situation isn't news worthy and no one realises how seriously this part of the Lunigiana  has been hit and continues to struggle
It is a worry, we think ourselves lucky, as although there is activity here, your area seems to be often impacted by quakes. The luck aspect is the fact Posara was our first visit to rural Italy and where we hoped to buy at one point... Do hope things settle down there... Beautiful place by the way....

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:48 pm

It must be a terrible worry for people in the area, as Fivizzano has been the epicentre for many earthquakes going back as far as the year 801 (and probably before). Fivizzano was practically destroyed in 1920 when a big earthquake (6.9) struck the area. The reason why the area is so unstable can be found here: 1920 Earthquake

I hope and pray that there will be no more incidents. On the other hand, Italy  in general has had a few of these terrible events throughout history.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2