The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Ryanair flights no longer happening from Ancona as from Nov 5TH ?

+3
Gala Placidia
stevegwmonkseaton
Angela Fuller
7 posters

Go down

Are Ryanair flights no longer happening from Ancona as from Nov 5TH ? Empty Are Ryanair flights no longer happening from Ancona as from Nov 5TH ?

Post by Angela Fuller Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:11 pm

That both Percara and Perugia timetables have been posted for winter flights, but nothing for Ancona.....hopefully just a delay, can anyone tell me more ???
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Are Ryanair flights no longer happening from Ancona as from Nov 5TH ? Empty No, but....

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:43 pm

Angela Fuller wrote:That both Percara and Perugia timetables have been posted for winter flights, but nothing for Ancona.....hopefully just a delay, can anyone tell me more ???

No, but exactly the same happened last year (and I think the year before). Perhaps it's the negotiations with the airport or he (they) are thinking/threatening of pulling out. I suspect the former and they simply know they don't need to hurry. Suspect Suspect Suspect

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Are Ryanair flights no longer happening from Ancona as from Nov 5TH ? Empty Re: Are Ryanair flights no longer happening from Ancona as from Nov 5TH ?

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:59 pm

Some flights, particularly in the case of low cost airlines, are seasonal only, and November is low season.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Are Ryanair flights no longer happening from Ancona as from Nov 5TH ? Empty Re: Are Ryanair flights no longer happening from Ancona as from Nov 5TH ?

Post by ghiro Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:09 pm

A couple of years ago Easyjet suspended flights between Bristol and Pisa in the winter.  The first I knew about this was when, like you Angela, there was no timetable published Sad 

Since then the flights have been reinstated so fingers crossed for you.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks all, hoping a timetable will be posted soon...
Gala, I have been flying from uk 10 times a year with Ryanair and they always cut down on flights come winter....every other day sort of thing instead of daily, but I am a little worried as there has been talk of Ryanair puling out of quite a few airports in central Italy....the only flight to uk from Ancona is to Stansted which is a bit of a pain and usually 1 flight a day (sometimes 2, especially at weekends), the plane is always full....it would be a shame if they pulled out as a 4 hr trek to Rome, Ancona 1hr 10 mins......

Last edited by Angela Fuller on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Are Ryanair flights no longer happening from Ancona as from Nov 5TH ? Empty There are other possibilities....

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:19 am

Angela Fuller wrote:Thanks all, hoping a timetable will be posted soon...Gala, I have been flying from uk 10 times a year with Ryanair and they always cut down on flights come winter....every other day sort of thing instead of daily, but I am a little worried as there has been talk of Ryanair puling out of quite a few airports in central Italy....the only flight to uk from Ancona is to Stansted which is a bit of a pain and usually 1 flight a day (sometimes 2, especially at weekends), the plane is always full....it would be a shame if they pulled out as a 4 hr trek to Rome, Ancona 1hr 10 mins......

I'm sure they will still continue to fly out of Ancona. It's in Mr O's interest to have these rumors and tensions floating about as it gives them a much stronger negotiating position. But there are also other options than Rome; Pescara is nearer, although the flight times in winter are not great, this year (and yes they are out, but came out last year much earlier than Ancona) they have different flight times almost on every day they are flying. If you are prepared to change planes and wait a little, there are also other possibilities for flying into. A number of people we know have flown Pescara>Hahn and then on to Edinburgh. We are looking to come back via Manchester on our next return.... Not the best of sites, but this gives you the options and times... Skyscanner

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:41 am

Thanks Steve, will look at Skyscanner....My problem is I am on a very tight budget as have mortgage here.....and when living and working in the uk alot of income sucked up by rent, utilities, car etc......I have, going back 8 yrs ago got the incredibly cheap ((£1 flights), used National Express Funfare (£1) to London Victoria from Glos, then the bus to Stansted and sleep at the airport, now a return is more likely to cost £150.......but there you go....  When I et back to uk I need to get to Monmouthshire / Herefordshire, so not an easy destination unless I aim for central London then bus from there, then lift from closest bus destination !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:15 pm

Like all carriers the budget airlines, will only run a route if it is profitable. The Easyjet Bristol /Pisa run was a lifeline to us as we generally have family over for Christmas, so when it was withdrawn a couple of years back it hit us hard, but thankfully they now run a twice weekly service over the winter which is great for us. Though I do remember a year or so before they withdrew the flights that in January, I was one of only 10 passengers on a flight; we all had to sit by the emergency exits on takeoff and landing to comply with regulations, still we got a free drink for being helpful.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:03 pm

I am very sorry to hear about your predicament, Angela, and I do hope that it will only be a seasonal problem. This highlights something that I always advise to anyone planning to purchase property or moving to any country. Always check the avaiability of regular transport to nearby airports, railway stations, etc. And it is most important not to have to rely on low cost airlines as these are the ones which abandon routes as soon as they realise that there is no profit in them. Even regular airlines systematically review their routes and schedules. I think I know a bit about this. In my youth I worked for 10 years for a major international airline, not as a flight attendant, but in the commercial department and I reckon that priorities are still the same for any airline.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Are Ryanair flights no longer happening from Ancona as from Nov 5TH ? Empty Many of us are on a tight budget....

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:17 pm

Angela Fuller wrote:Thanks Steve, will look at Skyscanner....My problem is I am on a very tight budget as have mortgage here.....and when living and working in the uk alot of income sucked up by rent, utilities, car etc......I have, going back 8 yrs ago got the incredibly cheap ((£1 flights), used National Express Funfare (£1) to London Victoria from Glos, then the bus to Stansted and sleep at the airport, now a return is more likely to cost £150.......but there you go....  When I et back to uk I need to get to Monmouthshire / Herefordshire, so not an easy destination unless I aim for central London then bus from there, then lift from closest bus destination !

Many of us are on a tight budget, so you are not alone. So my idea of two flights may not be of much use as there is likely 2 charges for baggage. Still we have at times found it cheaper. Think in this day and age you have to shop around and look at all options e.g. sometimes it's cheaper staying over than catching a bus or train at peak times... End of the day, we love being here and would give up lots to enable us to stay.... Mad Mad Mad

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:46 am

Yes Steve, many of us are on tight budgets and shopping around is the thing to do but as I was / am, fortunate enough to be able to pick and choose the very cheap flights with Ryanair flying from Ancona, no-one else can match their value for money.  Once at Stansted I get Terravision coach £9 single to London Victoria then a £5 Nat Express Funfare to Glos or sometimes £7 to Cardiff....so cheap.....  Like you, after 8 yrs here I would not want to return to live in the UK to live so do give up lots, more and more as things get more and more expensive....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:53 am

Is Perugia too far away for you? They seem to have more regular flights to Stansted, which is obviously the right airport for you.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:23 am

It is possible Gala but whether our 18 yr old car will get there and back is another issue...On a brighter note, our mortgage will be paid off in 2 yrs so 500 euros better off each month, cant wait !  Friends have been giving me lift to Ancona and home (due to not trusting car making long trips) but that costs more than the flights and transportation uk, so asking for a lift to Perugia will cost me dearly......I am just hoping Ryanair will publish timetable, be it a little later than expected !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 am

Yes, it is difficult while you are repaying the mortgage... Fortunately, not too long to go now. I mentioned Perugia, because we went past it on our way to Loreto, only a few months ago. 
We have to travel by car from Spain, because of our elderly dog and also because we need to have a car there. Also, we need to overnight somewhere in the French Riviera, as the trip is otherwise too long. It ends up being an expensive trip. Fortunately, no mortgage, but it will not be long before you are in the same position. Very Happy
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:48 am

As you say Gala, only 365 days x 2 so not long now....  I understand your having to motor because of elderly dog, I was the same with mine, (just departed), have young dog now, totally mad and full of energy, dread a long journey in the car with her, to the vets and back is bad enough....and I need a new car for a long journey !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by rachel68 Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:21 pm

Ryanair play games threatening local economies to get the best repeat prices on routes. I was absolutely horrified when ALL flights between SCOTLAND and ROME were cut for 5 months last year. There had been wrangling between Edinburgh airport and O'Leary and he cut the route and Edinburgh airport couldn't find a taker in the short notice Ryanair gave to pull out for 5 months. Can you believe that....not a single flight from a country like Scotland to the capital of Italy!! Seems strange to me that countries can't legislate in contracts about airlines being able to influence economy and trade in this way.

rachel68
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:28 pm

This is the cost of deregulation. On the other hand, it has brought competition and lower airfares. In the past, only a minority was able to fly. Nowadays, almost anyone can do it. Advantages and disadvantages, but I think that the balance is positive.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by rachel68 Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:15 pm

I agree in general GP, but it really came home to me last Autumn/Winter/Spring when hotel bookings for example for city breaks to Edinburgh were reportedly cancelled because Italians weren't prepared to take two flights for a long weekend. I spoke to an MP, the one responsible for overseas trade and he hardlt believed me this could be the case. On 'holiday' routes I understand necessary seasonality, linking up capital cities however seems to me a pretty basic necessity if you want to be taken seriously within Europe....as Scotland keeps saying!

rachel68
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:10 pm

The only way, for any country, to guarantee regular flights to any destination is to have a national airline, which, in turn, has to be very heavily subsidised and generally operates at a huge loss. This is why, most former national carriers have been privatized. They are unsustainable. And, in any case, I doubt that too many Italians would be travelling to Edinburgh for a long weekend in the middle of winter. If there was such a big demand, or any possibility of having one, tour operators can always offer packages including charter flights and hotels as a package. This is regularly offered by some destinations during long weekends at any time of the year.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by rachel68 Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:45 pm

But there is a big Italian community in Italy going back many years...it's part of the very fabric of today's Scotland and has served the country well in terms of trade, culture and development. The Scottish-Italian community need to travel outwith holiday seasons...I agree about the heavy cost of an airline which serves the national interest in terms of trade and society's need. I do also understand the economics of a country subsidising a route....I just feel when a Ryanair or Easyjet type company decide they'd like to take on a route, certain routes could, in my possibly idealistic opinion, have certain conditions attached...ie, at least to maintain one flight a week during off peak times.

rachel68
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:45 pm

Yes, Rachel, I know about the links between Italy and Scotland, and our neighbouring town, Barga, is a perfect example of those strong links; however, it is obvious that certain routes are not profitable enough to be kept running throughout the year. And a weekly flight may prove more expensive to run than four or five. The logistics involved are fairly complicated. Yes, nationalistic supporters in many areas around the world always dream about their national carrier, while large, traditional nations, who have gone through that experience already, are glad to get rid of their flag carriers as they are just too expensive to run... This is a funny world!!!
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:54 am

Apologies as my views tend to have a Le Marche slant to them,...

I think that Ancona airport appear to be almost non existent in their marketing. The whole Le Marche area is SO beautiful but I think that the access to it via air is awful. The airport itself has grown but the traffic appears to have reduced, I don't think that it is just Ryanair's fault.

Tourism brings money !

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:05 am

I agree, the coastal area of Le Marche that could be served by Ancona airport is beautiful and well worth a visit. We went there a couple of months ago and we loved it. On the other hand, I think it is more of a destination for Italians - perhaps, one of their best kept secrets - and not enough international promotion has been undertaken. I noticed that there were lots of TV ads in Italy this year and maybe this was because they knew that this summer season was going to be tough as many Italians were saying that they could not afford to go on holidays because of the economy...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:52 pm

... don't know when it happened, but the flights are now out...  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:46 pm

bravo steve, good spot,

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down