The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So what is "culture"

+2
Gala Placidia
stevegwmonkseaton
6 posters

Go down

So what is  "culture" Empty So what is "culture"

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:30 pm

seen a similar subject on the abruzzolutely forum and wondered what people thought it was... When mentioned, opera house, Teatro and orchestra were listed Twisted Evil Twisted Evil I'm sure many things are culture, but also very subjective. It also strikes me that those listed are the "common" persons view of culture Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad  Forgive me, after dinner and and just a little vino I  could not resist....

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

So what is  "culture" Empty Re: So what is "culture"

Post by Gala Placidia Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:38 pm

Culture is a difficult noun to define as it may have many meanings. Many people immediately relate it to art expressions; however, many other human expressions are part of culture. I particularly find these definitions quite interesting culture definition; however, others may be added, such as the verb "to cultivate", which is what has been done to the grapes from which came your glass of "vino" and wine is also part of culture... I also consider sport as part of the common culture. So there can be many topics under the same thread. The more, the merrier.In any case, if I had tonight an extra glass of "vino" it does not necessarily mean that I am more "cultured" or "cultivated" than you...Razz
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

So what is  "culture" Empty Oh Gala....

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:08 pm

Gala Placidia wrote:Culture is a difficult noun to define as it may have many meanings. Many people immediately relate it to art expressions; however, many other human expressions are part of culture. I particularly find these definitions quite interesting culture definition; however, others may be added, such as the verb "to cultivate", which is what has been done to the grapes from which came your glass of "vino" and wine is also part of culture... I also consider sport as part of the common culture. So there can be many topics under the same thread. The more, the merrier.In any case, if I had tonight an extra glass of "vino" it does not necessarily mean that I am more "cultured" or "cultivated" than you...Razz
... thank goodness, you are... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:11 pm

What an interesting question Steve! Smile Smile 

Also having had (unusually!) 'just a little vino' myself it has somewhat taxed my excuse for a brain. Sad 

My conclusion is that 'culture' depends on your social starting point.  Many people would consider opera to be 'cultural' - whereas others have described going to the opera as 'a works outing for the upper classes'.  Laughing 

Does this help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2k1iRD2f-c ?
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:26 pm

Oh I hate youTube links... , but then again "I know my place" Sleep Sleep Sleep

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:14 am

I agree, Steve, in that the definition of "culture" is a personal and subjective matter. An it is not restricted to art manifestations. There are a lot of "intangibles" here. I like opera, but I do not find that all operas are great. As a matter of fact, some are boring and I do not enjoy them. And then, and I am going to commit heressy according to many people here, I find Michelangelo's David the ugliest statue that he created. Huge hands and head, out of proportion... really ugly. As I said, very personal and subjective. Twisted Evil
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by L'uomodellaluna Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:28 am

Re David:

If you had hands that big, you shouldn't pose with them close to a willie that small

8o)
L'uomodellaluna
L'uomodellaluna
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by L'uomodellaluna Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:34 am

Re Opera:

Like Gala, I like a lot of opera.

And a common comment is that opera is for toffs. But I think that generally that's a reaction of inverted snobbery.

Unfortunately, opera is expensive to put on - large orchestra, large cast, extensive scenery.

But it varies.

I sat in the front row of the Genoa Opera House, watching Romeo and Juliet, for 50euro.
Bocelli was supposed to be playing Romeo, but he was ill, so it was a bit of a disappointment. Still, the production was brilliant - and only twice the cost of a seat at a premier league match!

If I had stood up, I could have conducted the orchestra!
L'uomodellaluna
L'uomodellaluna
Elder

Back to top Go down

So what is  "culture" Empty Now that's a bit of culture...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:41 am

L'uomodellaluna wrote:Re David:If you had hands that big, you shouldn't pose with them close to a willie that small8o)
Now that's a bit of written culture Laughing Laughing

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:20 pm

Culture is that stuff I used to grow in a Petri Dish ..... cheers
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:23 pm

Flip wrote:Culture is that stuff I used to grow in a Petri Dish ..... cheers
Ah! Life!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:56 pm

I agree in that some art expressions, such as opera or ballet (another of my favourites) are expensive, but not more than some football matches or dinner at some restaurants. It is all a matter of priorities when it comes to spending money. I listen a lot to music and that is not an expensive passtime...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:17 pm

Flip wrote:Culture is that stuff I used to grow in a Petri Dish ..... cheers

Oh what fun it was heating the wire ring in a Bunsen burner! Smile

Here's a YouTube link for Steve knowing how much, although he protests, he actually loves them! Sad Sad  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIRUKRgvM7A
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:37 am

'It's Life Jim... but not as we know it!'
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by serendipity Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:02 am

As has been said 'culture' is a huge topic header covering everything from arts, behaviours, even religion and beliefs. Or belief in not believing if you'd rather.

The feeling of something being culturally significant or not- is what's subjective. 
I remember I opted for a Culture unit in my Uni degree. The very first lecture was titled ''The Cultural Significance of a Tomato'' -Urgh, I remember I sat politely through the two teeth gritting hours and then promptly changed units! I just could not be arsed to waste the next 300 hours of my life on such debates as 'the cultural significance of a vegetable that hoitily poses itself as fruit'

Anyway, my point being that the heading of culture is vast. And a thread started to, if one wanted, debate the cultural significance of a tomato , is fair game and certainly wouldn't be out of place in an Italy Forum Razz

Last edited by serendipity on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

serendipity
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:36 am

Well, I think that the tomato has had a significant cultural impact - particularly on Italian cuisine - ever since it was introduced from America. Potatoes have shared this impact. You should think that there could be worse choices, such as "The cultural significance of cabbage... or turnips". Gosh, some university lecturers have a great "creativity" Razz Rolling Eyes
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by serendipity Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:00 pm

Laughing 

See, now there's a challenge... basing half your career's sabbaticals on researching 'The Cultural Significance of a Turnip'!! And that I would have stuck around for!!! Very Happy

serendipity
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:28 pm

This must be very cultural then TomPot LINK  Idea Idea Idea

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:38 pm

Possibly, it could be more "culturally significant" if the plant could produce both tomatoes and lettuce at the same time. Could you imagine a thesis on "The Cultural Significance of the Complete Salad Plant!"? Oops... forgot about the onions...Rolling Eyes
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down