The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CAR UK MOT and ROAD TAX RUNNING OUT!

5 posters

Go down

CAR UK MOT and ROAD TAX RUNNING OUT! Empty CAR UK MOT and ROAD TAX RUNNING OUT!

Post by rachel68 Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:21 pm

Our car has been 'sorned' but fully insured and MOTd whilst in Italy and France. We need to get it back to the Uk either to sell it or re-MOT it and then sell it on a few months before buying a LHD car. We live between France/Uk/Italy right now. The MOT runs out on March 26th and I was hoping to drive it back on the 30th with an MOT booked in for the 31st so I can get a tax disk on the 1st April. How should I go about it? Should I notify DVLA in case I'm stopped (I hear frightening things about number plate cameras) or is all I have to do show that I've got the printed evidence of an MOT booked in within 100 miles or so of Dover where my mother lives? It is obviously difficult to get an MOT done on a Sunday when we'll travel so I hope this'll be OK. Any thoughts? Please don't scaremonger me if you don't actually know...some positive experiences would be good! I'm terrified of being arrested at Dover!

rachel68
Elder

Back to top Go down

CAR UK MOT and ROAD TAX RUNNING OUT! Empty Re: CAR UK MOT and ROAD TAX RUNNING OUT!

Post by modicasa Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:14 am

Cant help you Im afraid, but if you knew it ran out on 26th, why wait till 30th to drive it back if you're scared stiff??  Boh... Good luck anyway, Im sure itll be a breeze

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

CAR UK MOT and ROAD TAX RUNNING OUT! Empty Re: CAR UK MOT and ROAD TAX RUNNING OUT!

Post by logitech Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:32 am

Yes you can drive back with proof of an MOT booked in the UK on your arrival - but as modicasa says ,Why wait the 4/5 days? Alternatively, you can get a revisione done in Italy.

logitech
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:38 am

Strictly you can only drive an untaxed vehicle on the public road in the UK if you're 'driving it to or from a licensed station for a pre-arranged MOT....' which is, after all, exactly what you're doing (so to speak  Smile).

Have you considered using the Channel Tunnel rather than a ferry?  All the checks are done on the French side and , in our experience, all they're interested in are the passports.  On arrival at Folkestone you drive straight off the train and onto the M20 - no customs, no passport check.  Nuffink!
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:49 am

I'm with Giro on this, the ''Chunnel'' is a lot easier, quicker and less hassle than the ferry and there's only a few quid in it now.
A friend of ours took their SORNED and out of MOT car back to the UK last year they had booked an MOT (in Bristol) for the next day after they had checked with a 'Plod' freind of theirs, and he said it should all be OK; they had no probs and duly had car MOT'd next day and then got it taxed.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down