The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JUST WHAT THEY NEEDED!!!

+4
modicasa
Admin
ghiro
Flip
8 posters

Go down

JUST WHAT THEY NEEDED!!! Empty JUST WHAT THEY NEEDED!!!

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:22 pm

We are all aware of the huge drama caused by the influx of refugees crossing the Mediterranean and of the efforts of Italy trying to spread the burden of these arrivals. Now, it appears as if Greece, in spite of all of its problems, is getting an even larger number of refugees http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-01/in-its-worst-hour-greece-overtakes-italy-as-top-destination-for-refugees
Proximity is obviously the reason for this. But Greece is not in a position to tackle this new problem. They have enough of their own.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

JUST WHAT THEY NEEDED!!! Empty Re: JUST WHAT THEY NEEDED!!!

Post by Flip Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:21 pm

and we don't in Italy? Sorry but my personal opinion is that the rest of Europe is not doing enough for the Countries on the front line, Italy, Greece and Turkey. France is, once again, showing itself to be the most self centred Country in Europe.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:38 pm

Flip wrote: France is, once again, showing itself to be the most self centred Country in Europe.
And how many have Perfidious Albion agreed to take?  Diddly squat. Sad Sad
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:04 pm

Nobody is arguing about the fact that Italy has to endure a terrible burden and that the EU is not doing what they should be doing; however, we have to compare the resources that Italy has against the ones of Greece, and for them, the burden is unbearable. France? It is easy to forget the number of refugees that France has been taking care of for many years. They are getting a large number of immigrants who are not coming in boats, particularly from their former colonies in Africa and here I will just mention a few countries to illustrate: Ivory Coast, Senegal, Algeria.... And we can go on and on. Oh, I have forgotten those from the former French Indochina... And Ghiro, the "Perfidious Albion" is not alone, both Germany and the UK, and if I am not wrong other EU countries, dump the immigrants they pick up at sea into Italy and Greece... Is that morally right? I guess that there are too many guilty parties here...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:11 pm

Sorry Ghiro, we're talking about EU countries, last time I looked the UK was doing one on that score.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:48 pm

Flip wrote:Sorry Ghiro, we're talking about EU countries, last time I looked the UK was doing one on that score.

Sorry Flip.  As I understand it the UK is currently a full member of the EU (although not a member of the eurozone).  DC has promised a referendum, probably in 2017, to decide whether or not we remain a member of the EU depending on what he can renegotiate (as yet unspecified).

I'm not sure any of this absolves us of our responsibilities for asylum seekers/economic migrants/displaced persons.

Do you advocate a 'closed border' approach?
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:11 pm

I think the French don't do anywhere near enough considering their ongoing financial relationship with many African countries https://www.popularresistance.org/14-african-nations-forced-to-pay-french-colonial-tax/
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:20 pm

Well, I think that this is a balanced appraisal of the situation http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/asylum-policy-and-treatment-of-refugees-in-the-european-union-a-926939.html
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:36 am

'former colonies' being the operative words.....

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:20 am

I think that to get a balanced look we should also read this Link
Personally, I think that, concerning the poorest countries in Africa, there should be more help made available, as this could be the key to control the economic migration. But I mean controlled help and assistance, as many of these countries suffer from high levels of corruption and nepotism, which basically swallow all the help given. I am personally involved in a couple of Catholic missions in the Uganda-Congo border and I have first hand information on those issues. It is sad, as most help goes to waste, instead of providing a sound economy and better living conditions to the people which would prevent migrations. Most people migrate because there is no other alternatives.
Now, the Syrian, Afghanistan. Libyan, Tunisian,etc, refugee problem is different and more difficult to tackle and solve. Here we have a big headache and not too many solutions. These people are the real asylum seekers because there is nothing left for them in their former countries with the advance of IS. Here, I am afraid that we may be entering WW3. I hope and wish to be wrong!
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabrizio Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:11 am

Hi to everyone,

I introduce myself,

I'm an Italian Citizen and I live near Milano. I love my country and I happy to take part of this forum. If I do some mistakes please correct me.

Bye Fabrizio

Fabrizio

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:18 am

Welcome Fabrizio, all of us make mistakes so do not worry.  Looking forward to reading your postings.....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:20 am

Welcome, Fabrizio!
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:38 am

Benvenuti, Fabrizio!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down