The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tip of the week

+7
Vicino
The Original Relaxed
Gala Placidia
stevegwmonkseaton
Geotherm
Carciofo
Sagraiasolar
11 posters

Go down

Tip of the week Empty Tip of the week

Post by Sagraiasolar Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:59 am

When the 'old' forum was in full flower I used to visit it almost daily as it was like a topical magazine with something of interest every time. I am still eternally grateful for the tip about claiming the UK heating allowance for example.
To make Forumotion more 'magazeeny' may I suggest a Tip of the week topic for anyone who feels they have something to share.

Here's an example to kick off the idea.
Greenfly
Take a plastic sprayer bottle (like the window cleaner one) and fill with 2 shots of grappa, gin or vodka - whatever you can spare. Add 2 drops of washing up liquid and top up with water.
Spray greenfly on your roses etc and they'll be clear by day 2.  The detergent lowers the surface tension on the mixture and allows it to wet the insects and the alcohol then does them in.
Sagraiasolar
Sagraiasolar
Elder

http://www.originaltwist.com

Back to top Go down

Tip of the week Empty Re: Tip of the week

Post by Carciofo Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:26 pm

Could you replace the alcohol with white spirit or turpentine?  I hate wasting good hooch. Very Happy

Carciofo
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:36 pm

Could you not use the surgical type alcohol instead, much cheaper than using the sundowner tipples up ??
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Tip of the week Empty Well if it works you are a star...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:16 pm

Sagraiasolar wrote:When the 'old' forum was in full flower I used to visit it almost daily as it was like a topical magazine with something of interest every time. I am still eternally grateful for the tip about claiming the UK heating allowance for example.To make Forumotion more 'magazeeny' may I suggest a Tip of the week topic for anyone who feels they have something to share.Here's an example to kick off the idea.Greenfly
Take a plastic sprayer bottle (like the window cleaner one) and fill with 2 shots of grappa, gin or vodka - whatever you can spare. Add 2 drops of washing up liquid and top up with water.
Spray greenfly on your roses etc and they'll be clear by day 2.  The detergent lowers the surface tension on the mixture and allows it to wet the insects and the alcohol then does them in.

Well if it works you are a star... Especially as it will also stop the OH falling over as much... LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:10 pm

I think that surgical (rubbing in the US) alcohol would be the ideal alternative to good grappa. It is cheap in Italy and you can buy it in the supermarket. I use it all the time to clean windows, mirrors and glass in general. I also helps to remove grease and it is an excellent disinfectant.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Relaxed Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:55 pm

Yeah - I'm a bit reluctant to use hooch on the greenfly, but I do think sagraiasolar's idea of a tip of the week as a teaser to encourage revisits is brilliant. Maybe even should be a tip of the day (or am I getting ahead of ourselves!)
It would have to be intelligently moderated, but I think it is a goer.
The Original Relaxed
The Original Relaxed
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:46 am

Excellent idea TOTW !

Do we vote to decide what is the actual top tip of the week, assuming there may be more than one offering ?

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Tip of the week Empty death by turps?

Post by Sagraiasolar Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:03 am

Carciofo wrote:Could you replace the alcohol with white spirit or turpentine?  I hate wasting good hooch. Very Happy

think of it from the greenfly point of view!  ... and no you don't want your roses to smell of turps.
Sagraiasolar
Sagraiasolar
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:37 am

Sagraiasolar wrote:
Carciofo wrote:Could you replace the alcohol with white spirit or turpentine?  I hate wasting good hooch. Very Happy
think of it from the greenfly point of view!  ... and no you don't want your roses to smell of turps.

Perhaps they would prefer some limoncello... could be the case of gourmet greenflies...Idea 
In any case, I would not use turps Mad
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Tip of the week Empty I like it!

Post by Admin Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:31 pm

I really like the idea of tip of the week. Maybe we could have it as a sticky on the General tab for a week and people can 'thank' to vote for it and maybe the 'winner' that month could have their business publicised on the first page of the site for the following month.

What do you reckon?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Seems an excellent idea to me Penny.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:57 pm

It is a good idea. May I suggest to call it "Tips of the week" (plural), as we may have more than one...hopefully...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Tip of the week Empty If you have trouble with slugs & snails!

Post by chrisnotton Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:46 am

Try this on your Hostas! Wink 

Garlic Wash Recipe
Well, here it is. Much requested and sought after - top secret you know - also available from MI5 - once memorised, the written copy has to be eaten!

Ingredients

2 Bulbs Garlic
2 Pints Water

Instructions

Crush 2 bulbs of garlic
Steam or boil in 2 pints of water for 3 to 4 minutes until blanched
Strain mixture and make back up to 2 pints
Leave to cool

When ready to use, mix one tablespoon into a gallon (3.8 litres) of water. Sprinkle on to leaves in late afternoon (in dry weather). Reapply every two weeks.

The mixture will apparently dry on the leaves making them rather unappealing to slugs and snails!
chrisnotton
chrisnotton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:40 am

Shouldn't we transfer all the tips to the "sticky" thread started by Penny?
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Tip of the week Empty go for it admin

Post by Sagraiasolar Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:17 pm

Admin wrote:I really like the idea of tip of the week. Maybe we could have it as a sticky on the General tab for a week and people can 'thank' to vote for it and maybe the 'winner' that month could have their business publicised on the first page of the site for the following month.What do you reckon?
Way to go admin.  Stick in a sticky in General and we'll get stuck in.
Sagraiasolar
Sagraiasolar
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:01 pm

... where is it and why is it so hard to find... too much vino me thinks... Anyway, tip of the week for you is to (if you have one) use your pizza oven for more than just pizza and avoid heat in your house... clown clown clown clown

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa C. Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:19 pm

stevegwmonkseaton wrote:... where is it and why is it so hard to find... too much vino me thinks... Anyway, tip of the week for you is to (if you have one) use your pizza oven for more than just pizza and avoid heat in your house... clown clown clown clown

Your tip brings back wonderful memories Steve.  When we lived near Pisa, our friends had a second home in the mountains nearby.

We spent every Sunday with the family, who would make such delicious food as lamb, along with enough bread for the entire week.  Everything that we cooked in the bread oven was really tasty.  Miss those days!
Lisa C.
Lisa C.
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Oh, yummie!!! Nothing like lamb marinated in olive oil, plenty of lemon juice, garlic and rosemary and cooked in a pizza oven!!!!
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:27 pm

A day after cooking in the oven we have chopped some freshly picked tomatoes, basil, thyme, sage and oregano, mixed it all in a baking tin with a friends lovely oil and popped it in the oven... The oven is still very warm and should slowly cook the toms in the herbs and oil... Will let you know how it does... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:13 pm

You should get a lovely sauce. If you can resist eating it immediately, keep it in sterilized jars topped with a layer of oil.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down