The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC channels - satelite frequency change

+11
Carciofo
IRITALIA
Vicino
Flip
ghiro
chrisnotton
Perlasca
The Original Relaxed
stevegwmonkseaton
Tinca
Casa Monal
15 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

BBC channels - satelite frequency change - Page 2 Empty BBC channels - satelite frequency change

Post by Casa Monal Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

I understand from our friends in Liguria that the BBC channels are no longer available.  Apparently the BBC has changed their frequency and to continue to receive them, you need a satellite bigger than 80 cm.

Does anyone have any further info or suggestions?  I must admit that although I seldom watch telly, I do like to catch up with the news while we’re there.

Thanks flower
Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

BBC channels - satelite frequency change - Page 2 Empty Re: BBC channels - satelite frequency change

Post by Flip Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:19 am

For a FREE VPN here probably the best. Anchorfree
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

BBC channels - satelite frequency change - Page 2 Empty Re: BBC channels - satelite frequency change

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:08 pm

Thanks for the tip Flip. How long have you been using the s/w? I've just loaded it (make sure you pick "Custom" if you don't want their settings for your search engine etc..) and the indication are you do not get "virtual location" with the freebie. It's present at the moment, but I suspect as a trial of the paid version. Not sure if this would be much use for watching UK TV...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:41 pm

been using 'My private network' for some 5 years, costs a fiver a month...............free sounds better value though !!

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Panner Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:15 pm

Vicino

I think it is 1metre or maybe slightly larger. Will check next time we are over (end of April).

VPN works OK by giving you a UK presence (ie the various services think you are based in the UK and therefore are OK). Excellent value if it is free!

Panner
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:44 pm

Steve, have been using Anchorfree for about 9 months now, and I can use all the iPlayers (BBC,ITV, Chanel 4 & 5 etc) with no problems I also use Filmon for TV and various other for free films and series.
PM me if you want links to good Film and TV series sites, all trusted.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:02 pm

Flip wrote:Steve, have been using Anchorfree for about 9 months now, and I can use all the iPlayers (BBC,ITV, Chanel 4 & 5 etc) with no problems I also use Filmon for TV and various other for free films and series. PM me if you want links to good Film and TV series sites, all trusted.

Thanks Flip, 9 month will do me. Still not too sure I'll like it as it just prompted Google to stop it signing in to my email via Outlook. A bit OTT by Google, but nice of them to think of protecting me... Simply stopped/paused the VPN and all was well. The VPN was tested using BBC Iplayer and worked fine. Not that we watch TV here, but do occasionally want to look at Lotto or things like that and they do the same - block if none UK IP address...  Smile  Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

BBC channels - satelite frequency change - Page 2 Empty PC to TV with Chromecast

Post by Sagraiasolar Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:25 am

I guess most of these solutions involve watching TV on small screens.  I've long been an advocate of the little Apple TV box as a way of relaying what's on your i-pad to the TV but this looks even better  http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I4WQ618/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B00I4WQ618&linkCode=as2&tag=ah4-21

New to the UK it is a £30 thingy to plug into the HDMI port on a TV. After that anything that can be reached on a tablet/PC can be shown on the big screen. No wires it's a wi-fi link.  If you supported one of these with a VPN such as 'Hide-my-ass' which gives a world wide switchable Proxy you'd be able to watch the usual UK and US channels, Netflix and more. You can make it better by running 'Boxee' on your PC and the Chromecast is supported by 'Plex' which is highly acclaimed.
Sagraiasolar
Sagraiasolar
Elder

http://www.originaltwist.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:09 am

Sagrisolar, beware of Chromecast. I've got the Dongle and it doesn't always work, you need to have a powerful up to date PC running Google Chrome and a modern Smart TV. I use a long HDMI cable to run from my laptop to TV and that works fine.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:39 pm

Same here Flip !!

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

BBC channels - satelite frequency change - Page 2 Empty Sorry Flip...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:04 pm

Flip wrote:For a FREE VPN here probably the best. Anchorfree

.. tried it and it is absolute rubbish on this PC. Perhaps it's the current version or whatever, I don't know, but I've not seen such blatant a freebie almost forcing an upgrade to the paid version.... DO NOT LOAD IT IS MY ADVICE... In fact I'll make every attempt to warn others about it... Anyone looking for a free VPN, then do a google search oN "best free vpn", this wont come top... Off to remove it....  Shocked  Shocked

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:22 pm

Luckily our son-in-law, who is a PhD student, has a VPN at his university in London.  And, even luckier still, he lets us share it!  Smile 

So, when in Italy, we log onto his VPN and can watch BT Sport and Sky Go.

(Smug Ghiro!   Cool  Wink)
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:59 pm

ghiro wrote:Luckily our son-in-law, who is a PhD student, has a VPN at his university in London.  And, even luckier still, he lets us share it!  Smile So, when in Italy, we log onto his VPN and can watch BT Sport and Sky Go.(Smug Ghiro!   Cool  Wink)

Lucky you could be Ghiro, but although I've never been a VPN advocate (simply because I've had no need of such), I now wonder just how secure this is? Route your web traffic via an unknown server... Mmmm...  What a Face

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Casa Monal Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:44 pm

Slightly embarrassed to tell you this Embarassed,we had every channel.  Nothing had changed for us, yet friends who live 3km away and others who live less than a kilometre away had nothing. It seems as if it’s a bit temperamental as for some the channels come and go…
Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:15 pm

Casa Monal wrote:It seems as if it’s a bit temperamental as for some the channels come and go…
Exactly our experience.  Some days nothing, other days full coverage.  It doesn't appear to be weather dependent either.  I wonder whether the satellite isn't exactly geostationary relative to our dish.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Carciofo Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:54 pm

OK so you two seem to be confirming what I suspected vis a vis the UK terrestrial channels received via Sky (uk) in Italy. That is that if you can get Sky in Italy, you should be able to get all the channels in your UK package because the transmission is via Sky and not cherry picked from whatever transponders the signals originate from (if that makes sense). But what size dish(es) do each of you have?

Carciofo
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Panner Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:10 pm

Not quite right Carciofo. It is dependent on the satellite/transponder and the footprint. Because of the recent changes you will not receive the UK terrestrial channels (BBC/ITV/Channels 4 & 5 and all their various associated channels as these use a spot beam which is tightly focused on the UK and covers into northern France but generally not as far as Italy). What you should receive are those other channels that are part of your package

Panner
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carciofo Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:36 pm

Yes, but I would have thought that when you subscribe to Sky you receive whichever channel you want to watch from the Sky platform.  It is up to Sky to collect the channel from wherever onto the Sky transponder and then retransmit it.  If that's the case, then the change in the terrestrial channels' satellite footprint wouldn't make any difference.

That said, I'm not sure how Sky works exactly.  The above method is how cable retransmits channels and I always assumed that Sky worked in a similar way.

Carciofo
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:23 pm

We have Freesat, not UK Sky.

Does anyone here have UK Sky in Italy?

Last edited by ghiro on Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:54 pm

I have it only via VPN to UK SKYgo,

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:37 pm

I would have thought Sky will be like everyone else and subject to copyright. Therefore they can only offer "Sky Italy" in Italy and "Sky UK" in the UK, they could however also offer any program/channel that is not subject to copyright. Of course they can also offer you any of their own channels as they own the copyright.... Why would anyone want Sky UK or otherwise...?

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carciofo Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:07 pm

Yes, contractually I think you are right, but it will in the end be a matter of technical delivery.  If they capture and deliver the individual channels as I suggested then the only way they would be able to curtail reception by satellite in Italy would be to reduce their overall footprint, not reduce it channel by channel.  

That said, I am surprised that Sky is as available as your link suggests, if only because it's kind of canabalising the audience of it's sister organisation Sky Italia.  I do know someone who works in the cable business who might know more about the technicalities and I think I might contact him to see what he thinks.  I'm reluctant to unhook my UK sky box and go to the expense of buying another dish for Italy if it's only going to provide half a service. Particularly as I could go the SkyGo + VPN route if needs be.

Carciofo
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:26 pm

I think (and hope!) I now might have a modicum of understanding.

When we originally got Freesat (buy a box and have free TV for ever [as if!!]) it was transmitted from a particular satellite.  This satellite happens (happened?) to be the same one that transmits/transmitted Sky.

Recently the major channels (BBC, ITV, Channels 4 & 5 etc) have moved to a different satellite with a much reduced 'footprint' meaning that for much of the time we in northern Italy can't receive their transmissions on Freesat.

However theoretically, with a large enough dish, we should still be able to receive UK Sky with the appropriate box and card.  I've never tried it.  Has anyone else?

But all is not lost!  With an HDMI cable and broadband you can connect your laptop/computer to the TV.  The major channels are available free on Filmon.  And if you have a VPN and Sky Go and My BT (as we do) you can watch pretty well everything else.    

How am I doing?  Question  Smile
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Carciofo Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:58 pm

Top marks Ghiro!  That is my understanding also (although, I bow to anyone with greater techie expertise than me).

The reason I am not that enthusiastic about the VPN route is because recently when we've been in Italy we've had fairly intermittent wifi reception.  I still need to work out if the problem is with CloudItalia or our router but it's jolly annoying when you're in the middle of a gripping programme to have the whole thing stop.

Carciofo
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Relaxed Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:48 am

I'm a fan of the vpn route - I pay iportal.me to persuade BBC iplayer (plus William Hill and Paddypower, or to buy machine guns off e-bay!) that I am in the UK.

Anyway - with the 'new' iplayer (having downloaded the 'new' download player while using the vpn) I find that I can download stuff (BBC TV) without pretending that I'm in the UK.

I failed to reproduce this facility on a friend's computer - but maybe one of you would like to test it?
The Original Relaxed
The Original Relaxed
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:42 am

When you say new Lax, do you mean in the last few days? I noticed it was saying 2-3 days ago that iPlayer was changing. I downloaded iPlayer whilst in the UK 2-3 weeks ago, so want to know if I need to re-download to test it. Just for the hell of it as I don't watch TV whilst here, but know many that do....

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next