The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Italians abandoning GB

+2
stevegwmonkseaton
Neil D
6 posters

Go down

Italians abandoning GB Empty Italians abandoning GB

Post by Neil D Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:39 am

Today's 'i' picked up on an interesting article in Il Fatto Quotidiano about why ex-pat Italians are returning to Italy.  Several commented on the British obsession with alcohol and binge-drinking as an almost sine qua non of social interaction.  That certainly strikes a chord with me.  Other reasons are more predictable: high cost of living and the frenetic pace of life in London, abysmal weather, the difficulty of striking up friendships with the British.

Il Fatto Quotidiano
Neil D
Neil D
Elder

Back to top Go down

Italians abandoning GB Empty Re: Italians abandoning GB

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:46 am

I detect a change in attitude in Europe and immigrants (as we are) are not as welcome. I think this very much more noticeable in the UK, but without any concrete reason think the same applies here... Sad

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:46 am

... oh and very nice to see you back Neil ... Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil D Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:10 pm

stevegwmonkseaton wrote:... oh and very nice to see you back Neil ... Smile
Grazie, signore.
Neil D
Neil D
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Relaxed Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:52 pm

Interesting - many of the comments in the article accord with what my younger Italian friends have said (after having tried London, and returned to Italy). Yes, they could pick up a job in a bar or restaurant in London at what looked like a fabulous rate of pay - but then the realities of how much getting to work (on the tube) cost, and the complete otherworldliness of having to live 10km from where you had to work - (daily commuting is hardly known in Italy) - I mean, what a complete waste of time!

Very high flyers no doubt will have found more success in the UK, but it certainly isn't a land of milk and honey for somebody just looking for an 'ordinary' job. 

In this respect I think it is very different from those periods when there was mass emigration from the poorer areas of Italy to Switzerland, America, Australia and Britain.
The Original Relaxed
The Original Relaxed
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:29 pm

Perhaps if they were looking/living outside of London a lot of the problems would not be there... Obviously the binge drinking would be in most places in the UK....

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:02 pm

The Original Relaxed wrote:......the complete otherworldliness of having to live 10km from where you had to work - (daily commuting is hardly known in Italy) - I mean, what a complete waste of time!

Not sure where you live Lax but here in rural Toscana, most people commute great distances to get to work every day, as work is very scarce and locals now travel (an acquaintance of ours does a round trip of over 50km each day) where the work is. In fact most people in our village do at least 10-15km to get to any job.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:51 pm

In London terms that's still not that far really. I think Italians would be horrified to hear I used to travel 2 1/2 hours each way.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:23 pm

Tell me about it Penny, in a previous life I used to have to travel from Bristol to Kings Lynn every Monday and back every Friday, 5/6 hours if lucky.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:46 pm

LOL Flip. I used to do  special courier type runs on a Saturday to collect Sainsburys orders for the Monday. Leave 6 pm arrive back home @ about 2.00 am on sunday.
I had one run with some special docs that I could not collect until 6 pm from Harlow, Essex that had to be in Milford Haven before 2.00 am. got there, but on the way back had to rest just over the bridge into the UK!!!
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Relaxed Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:05 pm

Geotherm wrote:LOL Flip. I used to do  special courier type runs on a Saturday to collect Sainsburys orders for the Monday. Leave 6 pm arrive back home @ about 2.00 am on sunday. I had one run with some special docs that I could not collect until 6 pm from Harlow, Essex that had to be in Milford Haven before 2.00 am. got there, but on the way back had to rest just over the bridge into the UK!!!

Isn't Wales part of the UK  Laughing
The Original Relaxed
The Original Relaxed
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down