The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Migration to Italy

+3
stevegwmonkseaton
Gala Placidia
ghiro
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Migration to Italy - Page 2 Empty Migration to Italy

Post by ghiro Fri May 30, 2014 5:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

Truly truly shocking.  One just wonders how awful their home life must be to risk everything to reach the EU.  And, I understand, many of them are unaccompanied children.

I hope we all realise how lucky we are to live the relatively comfortable lives that we do. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27628416
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Migration to Italy - Page 2 Empty Re: Migration to Italy

Post by Gala Placidia Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:34 pm

Modi, I know how much you hate the Catholic Church (although I ignore the reason), but what you are saying is unfair and untrue. I am not going to give you all the links because it will be the never ending story. If anyone cares to Google "Caritas siciliana" you will find plenty of information that contradict your statements. I will give you, though a link for one of your preferred charities so that you may see the missuse of funds http://www.ibtimes.com/amnesty-international-high-cost-human-rights-activism-charity-1301765 and you can also Google "Save the Children Fund criticism" to find similar information. I have worked enough with charitable organisations to know that there is plenty of wrongdoings and "doers! in this world. As for your claims about Bertone, he was dismissed long ago, the Pope condemned his actions and he is under investigation. The Church, and particularly under Pope Francis will never use charitable funds for anything but charity. You are entitled to have your own opinions, but to falsely accuse anyone or any institution is considered libel. Sorry, Modi, but I thought that, although we have different points of view we could have a civilized discussion, but this went a bit too far.
Oh! And Pope Francis has not limited his work on immigration to an early visit to Lampedusa. There is plenty of information on the matter if you care to consult the Web.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:46 pm

Further to my previous post, if anyone has any doubts about the involvement of Caritas (the Agrigento branch in particular), you may like to read this recent article (27th May) Lampedusa, Caritas
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:05 am

Gaia as I livwe in Sicily and see every day what is done and not done, I think I have a valid point to make.  The Catholic Church has been in the past and still is, in my opinion, one of the greatest twisters of facts that has ever existed - and that is not libellous.  To accuse Amnesty of misusing funds, is laughable given the long long list of the Churches use of the faithful's donations - where would you like to start?  Mother Teresa? .   Your proof of yourclaims would be where?  A VAtican published document? A speech?  A press release?  Bertone was not dismissed . he was retired.  We do have different points of view, both of which are valid depending on what you choose to believe.  However I do not dispute that Caritas does good work, despite the cuddly feely telly ads - but as I repeat here in my part of Sicily the Chruch has done nothing.  If you are here and are working on the port side at pozzallo, or in Augusta, then you are free to tell me I am wrong.  If you are not, you dont have the right to tell me Im writing untruths.

Regarding your assumptions as to my relationship with the Catholic Church ... YOu assume too much.  

Each time I write on here I think, 'I must never do that again' because I really dont like upsetting people, and I get myself in a state.  But there are some things that should and need to be said, because information is power, and information is a right.  When i say information I mean facts, not propaganda.    This is a forum about information - where people ask questions and look for answers.  They have the right to be be informed.  Not preached at and not patronised.  And on that note - happy repubblic day everyone.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:08 am

Well, Modi, I think that perhaps you should have a look at what IS been done and not what some people say that should be done (and do nothing themselves). There is a program going on that has been created by the Agrigento Diocese (that looks after Lampedusa) called "Housing First" that is acknowledged as an example for all Caritas branches that look after immigrants , although this project will also serve the needs of homeless individuals and families, abandoned children, abused women and children and people in need. http://www.agrigentooggi.it/inaugurata-al-granata-di-agrigento-casa-rahab/
That more should be done? Yes, but more volunteers and resources are needed and immigration is not the sole responsibility of the Church. A combined effort is needed and even then, it is a difficult problem.
Bertone has been technically "sacked" , ""retired" is a euphemism frequently used by the Church as it hates scandal and controversy. 

Last night, while watching RAI 1 program at the Arena di Verona, I was moved to tears by Dario Foo's praise of il Papa Francesco and his reform of the Church. And this, coming from a well known marxist-leninist and self-confessed atheist is not mere "propaganda" . It is the best praise that Pope Bergoglio can receive.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:45 am

This is obviously a very emotive topic........... take a step back ! People are allowed to have differing views.

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by chriscol Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:31 am

Seconded!

chriscol
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:16 am

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/02/europe-refugee-crisis-un-africa-processing-centres

Well, would you believe - obviously the great and good read this forum!

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:01 am

Refugees
I'm afraid that it sums up the problem.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down