The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cabbage White Butterflies

+3
Flip
stevegwmonkseaton
Angela Fuller
7 posters

Go down

Cabbage White Butterflies Empty Cabbage White Butterflies

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:39 am

They are everywhere, not just on the blue /mauve flowering plants.  There is very little sign of all the other beautiful butterflies, a couple of Swallowtails but thats about it....no Red Admirals or Tortoishells, why is this ?, I have no cabbages growing in the garden or closeby....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Cabbage White Butterflies Empty Re: Cabbage White Butterflies

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:54 am

Not too sure why you don't have them, we have them all here, yes mostly cabbage whites... But the rest are present in the same numbers as usual, if not a few more... Oh and along with the hawk moths which seem to be earlier here this year...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:59 am

We have quite a lot of Cabbage Whites here at the moment, and a fair few of the Red Admirals and Peacocks. I think a lot depends on the vegetation/flowers in you immediate area; we also have loads of the Hummingbird Hawk moths darting around the Jasmine and Lemon flowers.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:06 pm

Loads of butterflies here as well. Don't think there are cabbage whites though, as not large enough. Lots of other ones appearing as well. The beautifull dragonflies should soon appear over the pond as well, I hope.
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:53 am

Well it's good to hear others are enjoying a good variety of other butterflies.....as Flip says, it does depend on the surrounding vegetation so we must be surrounded by their favourite food... Swallow tail caterpillars seem to enjoy munching through my bronze fennel have moved them onto some green fennel....wonder if they will like that as much.....so fussy !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:00 am

... all whites are cabbage to me... as I would not know the difference, but do know that many are not just your common cabbage butterfly. Since this post, as we do a lot of sitting around Smile, I've tried to spot any different colors... Well I think I've seen every color going. I forgot the blue ones we have, those about 1cm and another about 2cm in size. The smaller one having brown on the outside of its wings. There is also a few very yellow colored ones (not your cream type which I lump in with the whites) and even one that looks almost black.... Would love to have more time to identify them, but take so much time identifying new birds, I don't think I will be doing so for now...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:58 pm

Hi Steve, there are lots of different white butterflies, with the cabbage, there is a large and a small variety.  As you say there are butterflies of all different colours and the difference between them can be quite subtle...I know I am sounding boring but my OH worked for a nature conversation trust and his knowledge is huge on this subject.....I wish I could identify them like he can....maybe in time...?  BTW, on the bird front we have Nightingales here, sing all night, Angela Worsley thinks she has problems with a cockerel crowing at 4.30 !!!!
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Have a look at www.butterfliesinitaly.com
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:22 pm

Great link.... many thanks Gala for finding it.
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:10 pm

yes this site looks good, just need time to look at it properly, ty...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:59 pm

I just searched "farfalle italia" and there was a lot of information and photos. Glad that you enjoyed it.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:15 pm

Lovely to see the web-site, thank you Gala.  Somehow I find a book easier when identifying species as quite difficult to do and I don't  have an I-Pad, which probably would not be easy to see in the sun anyway....Good news is, apart from the still 100's of Cabbage White's, still here, I did today see a Tortoishell and a few more Swallowtails so there is hope.....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:57 pm

I also love books. I don't think that the Web can replace them. But it is very handy!
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Centauro Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:26 pm

Gala Placidia wrote:I also love books. I don't think that the Web can replace them. But it is very handy!

With you on the book thing Gala, but I also find this site useful for identifying the odd pesky critter that I come across. You'll probably need to register to use it but it usually works a treat.

Link:iSpot

Ps. As a suggestion, might it be considered to change the name of this board to 'Gardening And Nature' to better reflect its general content.

Smile
Centauro
Centauro

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:11 pm

Yes, I agree, will ask Penny ......
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:27 pm

I totally agree. GArden and Nature is the way to go. Then I can tell you about my recent adventures with Italian snakes... I did not want to hijack this thread Laughing
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:55 am

Good news, so far today OH has seen 14 different butterflies including, Large and Small white (of course), Marbled White, Swallowtail, Scarce Swallowtail, Red Admiral, Spotted Fritillary, Meadow Brown, Small Blue, Brown Argus, Gt Banded Grayling, Clouded Yelow, Comma and a Small Skipper.  Think maybe the invasion of just the 'Cabbage Whites' was all weather related, maybe they put up with the wet, damp weather we were experiencing better than the others.  Like 'Nature Watch' here just now, a lovely time of year....

Last edited by Angela Fuller on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:53 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Bad spelling again.....)
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:58 pm

It is interesting to see how weather conditions can affect the number of butterflies we see and we can add that this year the weather has been particularly whimsical. Let's hope that this is only a bad cycle, as this article is a bit of a worry
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/18650058
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:19 pm

Just met a 'Scarce Swallowtail' in my garden.  Beautiful Smile
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:34 pm

Angela Fuller wrote:Good news, so far today OH has seen 14 different butterflies including, Large and Small white (of course), Marbled White, Swallowtail, Scarce Swallowtail, Red Admiral, Spotted Fritillary,, Meadow Brown, Small Blue, Brown Argus, Gt Banded Grayling, Clouded Yelow, Comma and a Small Skipper.  Think maybe the invasion of just the 'Cabbage Whites' was allweather related, maybe they put up with the wet, damp weather we were experiencing better than the others.  Just like 'Nature Watch' here just now, a lovely time of year....

I really don't have the time for this, BUT sure wish I did!!! Love watching the massive abundance of different butterflies... This despite the fact I know that half are probably my worst enemy in the veg garden.... Perhaps some day I'll have time to look at those lovely sites and learn the names of these divine creatures ....

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:37 pm

ghiro wrote:Just met a 'Scarce Swallowtail' in my garden.  Beautiful Smile

Ghiro, they are wonderful, glad you spotted one, so many beautiful butterflies around now, maybe the lavender attracting them, few other blue/mauve flowers in the garden but lots of lavender....no surprises !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:41 pm

stevegwmonkseaton wrote:
Angela Fuller wrote:Good news, so far today OH has seen 14 different butterflies including, Large and Small white (of course), Marbled White, Swallowtail, Scarce Swallowtail, Red Admiral, Spotted Fritillary,, Meadow Brown, Small Blue, Brown Argus, Gt Banded Grayling, Clouded Yelow, Comma and a Small Skipper.  Think maybe the invasion of just the 'Cabbage Whites' was allweather related, maybe they put up with the wet, damp weather we were experiencing better than the others.  Just like 'Nature Watch' here just now, a lovely time of year....
 I really don't have the time for this, BUT sure wish I did!!! Love watching the massive abundance of different butterflies... This despite the fact I know that half are probably my worst enemy in the veg garden.... Perhaps some day I'll have time to look at those lovely sites and learn the names of these divine creatures ....
Steve, you must make time, they are so beautiful and not many will feed on your veg garden if you have the right flowers / ones they simply love in the rest of the garden but I am sure you know that.  Look at sites on rainy days, I am sure you will learn lots....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:47 pm

Angela Fuller wrote: Ghiro, they are wonderful, glad you spotted one, so many beautiful butterflies around now, maybe the lavender attracting them, few other blue/mauve flowers in the garden but lots of lavender....no surprises !

How right you are.  It just loved the lavender.  I've never seen a Swallowtail before as far as I'm aware.  Majestic! Smile

http://www.britishbutterflies.co.uk/species-info.asp?vernacular=Scarce+Swallowtail
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:13 pm

ghiro wrote:
Angela Fuller wrote: Ghiro, they are wonderful, glad you spotted one, so many beautiful butterflies around now, maybe the lavender attracting them, few other blue/mauve flowers in the garden but lots of lavender....no surprises !
 How right you are.  It just loved the lavender.  I've never seen a Swallowtail before as far as I'm aware.  Majestic! Smile
http://www.britishbutterflies.co.uk/species-info.asp?vernacular=Scarce+Swallowtail
Ghiro, this butterfly watching is becoming addictive.  Think I said OH worked for Nature Conservation Soc' in uk and knows them all, I am just learning but very little 'house' or 'garden housework' happening here, the butterflies are taking up all my time !  Lavender doing it's thing along with a few teucrium and rosemary flowers, a warm week forcasted so hopefully lots more to see.....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down